03 hard shift 1-2 4l60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
So you ordered a whole new accumulator housing from GM and only got one spring? I would just order the big outer one if you are worried about harsh shifts. Me, id roll the dice and hope the one in my trans was ok. Then again i like solid shifts, so even if it was broken id probably just hit up a hardware store and look for a spring close in diameter. Just to keep tension on the piston not even really for cushion.
Ok so in other words your saying there should be two springs?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i would say you need 2 springs. Most people from what i can find, reuse the stock ones. Are yours good? I have no idea maybe not since you have a harsh shift.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine is having the Occasional hard 1-2 shift as well. Recently I replaced the filter and fluid. Seems to have helped but I catch it doing it randomly. Seems to do it more often constant use, or a long period of stop and go driving. I use it for work every day so it's on and driving/shifting all day. Hadn't done it in over 2 months until this Monday.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be 2 springs (big and small). Usually the old bigger one is busted in half which causes the hard shift. Replace it and dont goto the damn hardware store and just stick a spring from there in there. Stick what is designed and suppose to be in there.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be 2 springs (big and small). Usually the old bigger one is busted in half which causes the hard shift. Replace it and dont goto the damn hardware store and just stick a spring from there in there. Stick what is designed and suppose to be in there.
Why not? I used a bunch of washers to space my short spring and a chunk of pipe where the big one goes.
Oh wait wait. Hes trying to get rid of the harsh shift. Carry on.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I wasn't able to get a bay open at my shop.

So the struggle and confusion continues.

So I dropped the pan to do the 1-2 accumulator and of course my bad luck continued. The valve body gasket tore when I dropped the accumulator. So I ordered a over haul kit containing all seals (luckily) because that was the only one I could find with next day air shipping.

Due to the website not fulfilling orders past 3 on Friday. It didn't ship till monday. I got it yesterday and started back on it last night.

So now for the big reveal when I dropped the pan I noticed it didn't have the newer accumulator housing which I thought was weird but I used that one just incase. After I dropped the valve body and got it all clean I noticed the gasket only had a v not a vb stamped into it. So I got curious and found the info stamp at the tail on the case and googled it... the person I bought the truck from apparently didn't see it important to tell me they blew up the original transmission and instead of having it rebuilt. They put a 2001 4l60e from a 5.3l in it....

So here's my questions.

First. How is this even possible. I thought the 4l65e and 4l60e used different converters, flex plates and bellhousings? And not to mention its from a 5.3l and the 2003 yukon xl denalis only came with a 4l65e or 4l80e

Second. Ik the 4l65e was designed for the newer 6.0l because the 4l60e can't handle the extra power. So could this be the reason I was experiencing that hard shift?

Third I'm guessing that this 4l60e isn't gonna last long. So what would be required to swap it back to a 4l65e. Is there different software for the 2001 4l60e. Was I right about the differences mentioned above?? Obviously I'm not doing it when the time comes. I don't have the space nor the time. (I'm expecting a chuckle from the trans shop when I do eventually bring it in *****)

Lastly. Just for fun. Would would be required to swap it to a 4l80e or should I just go back to a 4l65e?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only difference between a 60 and 65 is a few hard parts. You can Google for the exact parts but it’s not much and most upgraded 60’s are actually stronger than stock 65’s. They use the same bell housings and converters. If you want to put an 80 in, you’ll need an adapter for the transfer case from a guy on Performance Trucks.net if one can still be found, then build a crossmember or buy one that somebody built and finally you’ll need someone with HP Tuners to do a segment swap for the tune. IMO it’s only really worth all the trouble if you’re running over 450 hp. There are 60’s built to take 1000 hp. I’m running a Level 3 Performabuilt 4l60e in my supercharged 02 Denali that’s rated for 900.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645