03 hard shift 1-2 4l60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could always find a 70e to swap in to your rig. As far as i know, they are bolt in and go other than swapping the shift shaft sensor and omitting the input shaft speed sensor. Supposed to be better tuan the 65e to boot.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Well ik its been awhile. I've been super busy at work. But a few weeks ago I got a code for pressure control solenoid circuit open. Was getting ready to order the parts soon. But on my way to work today. It suddenly started making this awful grinding noise. Luckily I was right down the street from work so I limped it there at bearly 2 mph cause anything over you couldn't hear yourself think. I thought maybe the front diff went so I tried to back it into my spot to slide under at lunch and the second I put it in reverse it started making that noise with out moving and couldn't move.(edit: also the speedometer climbs when in reverse)I'm beginning to think the trans is shot. My guess planetary gears. This has been such a headache. Luckily I only paid a grand for the truck. Anyways. Anyone have any insight or things to check first before I cal the trans shop to get a quote. Also anyone who has had theres rebuilt wanna chime in with what it ended up costing you so I can get an idea

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? Usually the output shaft has to spin to make the speedo move? Sounds like if its 4x4 the transfercase is broken and the output is spinning. If its 2wd you have a big problem ( not that it wasnt apparent)

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD/4wd/2wd and grinding while in reverse with no movement of the vehicle......Sunshell center hub weld has broke or the spline in the hub is stripped, could also be that the chain has jumped teeth (stretched) in the AWD unit also. Tcase has to come down no matter what first anyway. Pull it and check it first. Hopefully the chain hasnt dug into the case and destroyed it.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Yea I figured sunshell when it had no reverse its just weird that the speedometer climbs when in reverse but I don't move but I can drive forward

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD/4wd/2wd and grinding while in reverse with no movement of the vehicle......Sunshell center hub weld has broke or the spline in the hub is stripped, could also be that the chain has jumped teeth (stretched) in the AWD unit also. Tcase has to come down no matter what first anyway. Pull it and check it first. Hopefully the chain hasnt dug into the case and destroyed it.
Usually i would agree with the sunshell thought, but the no movement but having speedo input makes me think it is something after the transmission because the output has to turn to get the speedo signal.
Yea I figured sunshell when it had no reverse its just weird that the speedometer climbs when in reverse but I don't move but I can drive forward
This is what i would do in your place. Take the front driveshaft loose of the front diff and see how difficult it is to turn and if it makes any noise.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
I'm taking it to a shop cause I just don't have the time or the space to fix it myself.

I read alot about the 4x4 cases having a snap ring on the rear output shaft that brakes and acts similar. Anyone know if that snap ring is on the nr3 and cases too?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking it to a shop cause I just don't have the time or the space to fix it myself.

I read alot about the 4x4 cases having a snap ring on the rear output shaft that brakes and acts similar. Anyone know if that snap ring is on the nr3 and cases too?
All that snapring does is hold the output shaft bearing in place. It wouldnt give the symptoms that you have.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Well I brought it to the the trans shop. It turned out to be the rear planetary gear set. He rebuilt the whole trans and did my rear main seal for me. 2808 out the door.

It's so nice now. Just gotta take care of the miss fire and the leaking radiator.... it never ends lol