01 Cabin Air Filter Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cnatalie

cnatalie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great post bro, thanks for that. I have an 02 and replaced mine and the only issue I had was that I couldn't figure out which direction the air flows? Do you know?

B

Yeah, didn't even think about that when I was doing it because I didn't notice a difference on the filter. Eventhough everything seems to be working fine, I might wanna check that out tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:29 PM ----------

damnit! :( why did they decide we dont need filters to help with our health anymore? lol....

I read somewhere that they stopped them because people were complaining they didn't know they even had them, but I think we can agree it was because they could save a few bucks leaving them out.

rob71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would go with the carbon filter if it's not too much more $$$. I have an E-class Mercedes which has pollen filters and a separate carbon filter - you push a button and the carbon filter is switched in. The worst smells magically disappear.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I have the carbon ones from the dealer and they're great, made a huge difference when driving through foul-smelling areas.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for this post! I have been needing to do this soon and now it will take less time for me to figure out where it is.

02TahoeMD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little trick I learned for changing mine without loosening (or losing for that matter) that accursed screw up against the firewall - If you look at the filter trim piece, follow it backwards from the screw (as in picture 1 on the first post ) and up to just under the hinge point in the dash. You will see that the trim piece is held in with a simple tab / slot point. Work a thin flat head screwdriver gently into the tab and you can pop it out of the retaining slot. Dont try to force it or things are gonna crack, but it can be worked out slowly. This will allow the trim piece to droop, you can then pivot it on the screw and pull out the filters. Put in your new ones and then just snap the piece back in place.

bthomas02tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow that thing was really dirty! Makes me wnat to run out and buy a replacement right now! I think this will be next weekends project for sure!

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02 and mine was dirty as heck at 100k. I have changed mine out a few times since then. If it's your first time changing it out and it's never been done (or it's been a good while), you should put a plastic bag underneath the work area to keep all the debris from falling onto the carpet. I had leaves, a lot of dirt, and even moths in mine.

I thought that this helped keep the evaporator clean. I remember having to clean out our old suburban's evaporator because it got so dirty with dirt that it turned into mud and clogged it all up. It wouldn't cool as well. Glad that mine has the cabin air filter to keep this from happening.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the year they discontinued the cabin air filter? Was this only in trucks/SUV's or for all GM vehicles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900