0-20w oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15burban

Reaction score
Their reasoning has absolutely nothing to to with it being the best oil for engine longevity.
As long as the oil is good enough to make the engine last til the warranty is done is all they care about. Once it's out of warranty they could care less if it locks up.

Antonm

Reaction score
As long as the oil is good enough to make the engine last til the warranty is done is all they care about. Once it's out of warranty they could care less if it locks up.

You can't get around regulatory requirements. You either meet them, or you don't get to sell your cars in the US. There is no negotiations, no exceptions, no allowances for anything.

And it is a federal requirement that they warranty the emissions control devices for 100K miles, not the engines, not the transmissions, the emissions control devices.

So if you were the CEO of a major auto manufacturer, what would you do? You'd probably meet all the requirements so you could sell cars, and then make darn sure the emission control devices lasted at the cost of literally everything else. Because that's how you make money, and at the end of the day, you're in business NOT to make cars, you're in business to make money.

If the government wasn't getting in the way, the car manufactures would make cars that lasted longer because reputation flat sells cars. How many people out there buy Toyota's for no other reason than reputation, and they pay a premium for those low option vehicles too.

So don't blame the greedy car companies, blame the idiots that have literally no clue what they're talking about that make the regulations.

15burban

Reaction score
It is my understanding that there isn't any requirement by anyone other then the vehicle manufacturer for what oil to use in their vehicles. 0w20 they say gives you better mpg. Even if it's .10 mpg better which doesn't seem like a lot to a single person adds up over all the vehicles the manufacturer sells with said engine. So in a round about way it's sort of right, but it's not necessarily because someone besides the manufacturer says they have to use 0w20 or they can't sell their vehicles.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't get around regulatory requirements. You either meet them, or you don't get to sell your cars in the US. There is no negotiations, no exceptions, no allowances for anything.

And it is a federal requirement that they warranty the emissions control devices for 100K miles, not the engines, not the transmissions, the emissions control devices.

So if you were the CEO of a major auto manufacturer, what would you do? You'd probably meet all the requirements so you could sell cars, and then make darn sure the emission control devices lasted at the cost of literally everything else. Because that's how you make money, and at the end of the day, you're in business NOT to make cars, you're in business to make money.

If the government wasn't getting in the way, the car manufactures would make cars that lasted longer because reputation flat sells cars. How many people out there buy Toyota's for no other reason than reputation, and they pay a premium for those low option vehicles too.

So don't blame the greedy car companies, blame the idiots that have literally no clue what they're talking about that make the regulations.
Emissions controls components are only FULLY warranted for 2 years 24k miles. Then only certain components are warrantied for the 8/80 or 10/100 duration, FYI.

Antonm

Reaction score
Emissions controls components are only FULLY warranted for 2 years 24k miles. Then only certain components are warrantied for the 8/80 or 10/100 duration, FYI.

The 2/24 is an emissions performance warranty (really means nothing as the car is usually under the manufacturer's warranty at the same time), the 8/80 and 10/100 are the component warranty and yes different things are covered under each, but the expensive things (like the catalytic converter and, strangely enough, the ECU) are covered under these longer terms.

So, you're the CEO of a major automaker with no choice but to cover warranty on expensive emissions parts until 8/80 or 10/100, and oh, by the way, these parts are damaged by the anti wear additives used in the engine oil. What do you pick to last the longest, the engine that has a voluntary 3/36 warranty, or the emissions control equipment that has a government mandated 8/80 or 10/100 warranty?

So far it looks likes the automakers have picked the emissions control devices because they keep taking anti-wear additive out of their "approved" oils.

Last edited:

Georgia 4Low

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish there was a 5w-30 Dexos D, so I could just run it and see if my Tahoe stops using a quart between (short) oil changes.
Our 2022 Yukon 4x4 SLE would use just about 3/4 of a quart of oil at about 40% oil life remaining or approx. 5000k miles ever since new with using AC Delco DEXOS D 0W-20. Currently has 28k miles and I'm on my 2nd oil change with Mobil 1 X2ESP DEXOS D 0w-20 and oil consumption appears to have disappeared. I have performed every oil change on it since new at basically 40% oil life or 5000k miles. So far our Yukon really likes the Mobil oil. Driving conditions for the 28k miles is purely in town and highway with a few long trips made, no towing. The wife drives it kind of hard at times as well.

What oil have you been using?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2022 Yukon 4x4 SLE would use just about 3/4 of a quart of oil at about 40% oil life remaining or approx. 5000k miles ever since new with using AC Delco DEXOS D 0W-20. Currently has 28k miles and I'm on my 2nd oil change with Mobil 1 X2ESP DEXOS D 0w-20 and oil consumption appears to have disappeared. I have performed every oil change on it since new at basically 40% oil life or 5000k miles. So far our Yukon really likes the Mobil oil. Driving conditions for the 28k miles is purely in town and highway with a few long trips made, no towing. The wife drives it kind of hard at times as well.

This is really great info. I also have a '22 Yukon w/ Duramax and have done 3 oil changes myself using AC Delco 0W-20 Dexos-D since brand new. First one at 1.3K, then every 4.5K thereafter.

I notice some oil consumption when towing and also long highway trips. We just got back from a ~2K mile road trip to California. I'm down about 3 x-hatch sections (it was full when we left). I had always thought the AC Delco oil was rebadged Mobil ESP oil, but perhaps it's not. I think I'll try the Mobil ESP oil now that it seems to be readily available through Walmart.

Georgia 4Low

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is really great info. I also have a '22 Yukon w/ Duramax and have done 3 oil changes myself using AC Delco 0W-20 Dexos-D since brand new. First one at 1.3K, then every 4.5K thereafter.

I notice some oil consumption when towing and also long highway trips. We just got back from a ~2K mile road trip to California. I'm down about 3 x-hatch sections (it was full when we left). I had always thought the AC Delco oil was rebadged Mobil ESP oil, but perhaps it's not. I think I'll try the Mobil ESP oil now that it seems to be readily available through Walmart.
maybe changing oil brands will help you like it did ours but there are a lot of variables like driving conditions, climate, the engine itself, etc. In my experience with all the vehicles I've owned some engines just prefer a certain oil over others. The only reason I switched to the Mobil 1 oil is that Auto Zone started carrying the Mobil DEXOS D oil and I got tired of ordering AC Delco online.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's disturbing. I've been using dealer changes, so hopefully AC Delco. The thing is, if they were using the wrong oil, I would expect it to be 5w-30, hopefully synthetic.

*Also, Bob9280 says he has same consumption issue with Mobil 1... https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2022-denali-oil-comsumption.147628/ :mad:

Last edited:

Georgia 4Low

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC