Trying to get low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think I should've stuck with stock arms?

Are the arms any different than stock (longer, different geometry, etc.)?

Would I benefit more from the alignment bushings if I went lower on the adjustable struts?

edit: Are the alignment bushings meant more for coils and adjustable struts?

If the bushings did, in fact, over-compensate, then yes, going lower would help. But I wouldn't go lower just for that unless you're wanting it to be lower. I would adjust the eccentrics to see if they'll pull the tops back in. Your alignment is already whack, so you can only help it get better. You just need it good enough to get it to an alignment shop. Hopefully you have a good one nearby.

I just got the drivers side wrapped up on the ground on its own weight and its doing the same thing.

Would removing a couple of spacers from the struts help?

Removing spacers would lower it, so, yes.

Did you leave the control arms loose until you set the vehicle's weight on them?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have the weight of the vehicle on the suspension before tightening the a-arm mounting bolts. If you tightened those bolts with the suspension at full droop, the a-arm bushings are keeping the suspension extended, as you are seeing. Keeping them like that will reduce the life of the bushing.

You know, I've been rushing through this because its so damn cold. I didn't. I will be going back out to adjust everything now.

Are the arms any different than stock (longer, different geometry, etc.)?

If the bushings did, in fact, over-compensate, then yes, going lower would help. But I wouldn't go lower just for that unless you're wanting it to be lower. I would adjust the eccentrics to see if they'll pull the tops back in. Your alignment is already whack, so you can only help it get better. You just need it good enough to get it to an alignment shop. Hopefully you have a good one nearby.

Removing spacers would lower it, so, yes.

Did you leave the control arms loose until you set the vehicle's weight on them?

Arms are stock MOOG replacements with alignment bushings.

I wouldn't mind going lower, as it sits now it looks lifted.
I'm hoping there's a good shop close by to, being new to the area puts me in a position.

I was thinking of removing 3 spacer, totaling 1.5".

I did not, I suck. Its so damn cold out and windy, I tightened everything while up in the air.
After I remove the spacers while its up I'm going to loosen everything and get that all buttoned up and reinstalled, I'm going to put it on the ground and retighten everything.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta let that thing settle man. get everything tightened up and put together and take her around the block a few times. May sound crazy but find some smoother dips so the truck goes up and down a little while driving, then take it to get a alignment. those bushings aren't made for any specific setup, they go with anything (except some of the custom controls arms and what not out there but that isn't the case here). I don't think there is a need to pull any spacers unless you are unhappy with the height (which I wouldn't determine until it has somewhat settled but that is just me). the tire sticking out like that happened to me on my nbs after I installed a camber kit and I was 5/7. Drove it to the alignment shop a few mins away and it was taken care of no problem.

you gotta think, your hoe has been sitting up in the air with everything extending out a stretching, so its gonna need some settle time with all the brand new stuff. I've cut that bottom balljoint bolt on a few different vehicle and what you did is perfectly normal.

can't wait to see this thing fully done tho!

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came in from loosening the control arm bolts that I thought I tightened haha. They were lose, its back on the ground now, I'm going to go tighten them back up and start on the rear.

All very good points Cody. Thank You very much, I appreciate the info. I'm going to go start the rear now and hope to get it done today so I can boot around the block with it to get things settled. Then I need to find a decent alignment shop. Worst comes to worst, there's a dealer right down the road.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate everyone's help.

On a side note, its warming up a little :)

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's great.
Its a brisk 38 out now and not as windy.

I'm onto the rear now. This should be fun hah.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be out there again tomorrow working on it.
Hopefully I can get it wrapped up tomorrow.
The rear is definitely more involved and those top shock bolts suck.
This has definitely turned into a bigger project than I was expecting.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip those top shock bolts while you’re at it. If you ever put a bigger/wider wheel on there, they will start to come close to hitting the tire.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flip those top shock bolts while you’re at it. If you ever put a bigger/wider wheel on there, they will start to come close to hitting the tire.

Thanks for the heads up Cody, I appreciate it.
Wheels/tires are my next venture after this is all settled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts