Aluminum / XFE NNBS Front Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It's front-end refresh time. I'm fast approaching 180K miles on our 09 Esky ESV. It has the original everything on the suspension. The front sway bar bushings have been replaced with poly recently because they were ready to disintegrate. While looking around at parts I saw that aluminum upper and lower control arms were an option for 07-14 / NNBS full size SUV. No info really nailed down who, what, why, when and where aluminum was used except little snippets on the interwebs.

@iamdumb did nail it here ...

I think the 4WD and AWD models got the aluminum parts to help offset the additional weight from the front drive components. The XFE (eXtra Fuel Efficiency) models, although 2WD, got them as well for weight reduction. You can't mix-and-match between the setups because the ball joints are a different size and/or taper. You either switch everything (knuckle included) or nothing.

In 09 GM offered the XFE package for 2WD Tahoe that included bits and pieces of aluminum suspension and a spare tire rim. The Hybrid, PPV & SSV also got a bunch of aluminum parts as well as odd ball trims. I'm interested in using both upper and lower control arms made of aluminum because the Esky has boat anchor 22" rims. GM boasts that using all that aluminum on the XFE gives it a 1 MPG increase and takes 32lbs off each side of the front end. I figure that by the time I get the Brembo BBK installed each front corner will have at least 40lbs shaved off.

IN REGARD TO NNBS TRUCKS ...

GM Alum Control Arm.PNG

So, on to the differences in forged & stamped steel as well as aluminum NNBS control arms that have been buried for so long.

* 2016-2017 stamped steel control arms have been recalled by GM for inadequate welds near the control arm bushing that may allow it to separate. Just ditch them.
* The forged steel upper and lower control arms for our 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* The aluminum upper and lower control arms from select 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* Both the forged steel and aluminum hubs from select 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* In 1500 Pickup Trucks 07-13 were always cast steel, 14-16 had all three and 17-18 were always aluminum.
* Aluminum lower control arms can be run on any 07-14 NNBS Tahoe / Yuke / Burb / Esky.
* Only the aluminum upper control arms have a specific ball joint. The stamped steel and aluminum ball joints are not cross compatible.
* Aluminum upper control arms must have aluminum hubs to accommodate the difference in taper of the aluminum specific ball joint.
* The lower aluminum control arms are cast aluminum. The upper aluminum control arms are forged.
* Products in the control arms contain chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
* The thread and pitch on all ball joint studs for both aluminum and steel are identical.

As the parts are ordered and arrive, I'll post up the source and pricing. I'm in the parts procurement phase and the work will be carried out by my trusted diesel Indi tech. The Esky is my daily and I'm over stressing out about getting a job done so I can drive the vehicle the next day.

Anyone know if the aluminum control arms have any torque to yield bolts that may be specific to them?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's front-end refresh time. I'm fast approaching 180K miles on our 09 Esky ESV. It has the original everything on the suspension. The front sway bar bushings have been replaced with poly recently because they were ready to disintegrate. While looking around at parts I saw that aluminum upper and lower control arms were an option for 07-14 / NNBS full size SUV. No info really nailed down who, what, why, when and where aluminum was used except little snippets on the interwebs.

@iamdumb did nail it here ...

In 09 GM offered the XFE package for 2WD Tahoe that included bits and pieces of aluminum suspension and a spare tire rim. The Hybrid, PPV & SSV also got a bunch of aluminum parts as well as odd ball trims. I'm interested in using both upper and lower control arms made of aluminum because the Esky has boat anchor 22" rims. GM boasts that using all that aluminum on the XFE gives it a 1 MPG increase and takes 32lbs off each side of the front end. I figure that by the time I get the Brembo BBK installed each front corner will have at least 40lbs shaved off.

IN REGARD TO NNBS TRUCKS ...

View attachment 418997

So, on to the differences in forged & stamped steel as well as aluminum NNBS control arms that have been buried for so long.

* 2016-2017 stamped steel control arms have been recalled by GM for inadequate welds near the control arm bushing that may allow it to separate. Just ditch them.
* The forged steel upper and lower control arms for our 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* The aluminum upper and lower control arms from select 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* Both the forged steel and aluminum hubs from select 07-14 NNBS SUV are also used on the next Gen 15-20.
* In 1500 Pickup Trucks 07-13 were always cast steel, 14-16 had all three and 17-18 were always aluminum.
* Aluminum lower control arms can be run on any 07-14 NNBS Tahoe / Yuke / Burb / Esky.
* Only the aluminum upper control arms have a specific ball joint. The stamped steel and aluminum ball joints are not cross compatible.
* Aluminum upper control arms must have aluminum hubs to accommodate the difference in taper of the aluminum specific ball joint.
* The lower aluminum control arms are cast aluminum. The upper aluminum control arms are forged.
* Products in the control arms contain chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
* The thread and pitch on all ball joint studs for both aluminum and steel are identical.

As the parts are ordered and arrive, I'll post up the source and pricing. I'm in the parts procurement phase and the work will be carried out by my trusted diesel Indi tech. The Esky is my daily and I'm over stressing out about getting a job done so I can drive the vehicle the next day.

Anyone know if the aluminum control arms have any torque to yield bolts that may be specific to them?
the XFE/hybird uses aluminium rims as well (some had the 20" rim option* )

note the hybird has a lowered suspension

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The Parts, Pricing as of date and The Vendors. Keep in mind I’m going generic (on the cheap) in some instances …

GM OEM Alum Knuck P/S. New $48.49 shipped off Amazon “save with used” category which was actually a dented box. # 22842315
CDF1F817-FB1C-473C-B56F-1B6B8BDA5638.jpeg

GM OEM Alum Knuck D/S. New $54.03 shipped off Amazon “save with used” category. # 22842314
D1255B52-84A2-41A1-8772-B12E31E8ED23.jpeg

AutoParts Premium brand Control Arm Kit 2 - 2015-2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV Sport Utility 4-Door $104.37 shipped free for the set from Parts Geek # 129811-02731127
A035DAE2-81ED-4134-B668-8DE621D2E767.jpeg

Cadillac Escalade Chevy Tahoe GMC Yukon XL Front D/S & P/S Lower Control Arm (OEM # 25788111 & 25788110) $192.95 for the set. Shipped free from Parts Geek. Replacement brand # 498-422.

7E7547CA-BB40-466E-B009-061FD3718D16.jpeg
I couldn't resist putting that in there.

that warning label is on ALL packaging of EVERYTHING in CA..

It's lowered but I assume it's the springs. I'll be on the slow road to looking for an aluminum rim to get my .000099999 more mpg.

the XFE/hybird uses aluminium rims as well (some had the 20" rim option* )

note the hybird has a lowered suspension

Last edited:

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
You can't mix-and-match between the setups because the ball joints are a different size and/or taper.

"Can't" unless you are willing to: 1) ream the taper in the knuckle or 2) use ball joint taper sleeves. Which one to choose will depend on the nature of the mismatch. Of course, one must know the taper values of the parts and the dimensional limits to do this.

That being said, having the aluminum knuckles would be preferable.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the little fact GM concealed all these years. The aluminum hubs match the taper of the aluminum UCA (but not the steel)

The aluminum hubs have the same taper as both aluminum or steel LCA.

The odd ducks are the aluminum UCA and the aluminum hub/knuckle.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
The aluminum hubs match the taper of the aluminum UCA (but not the steel)

The aluminum hubs have the same taper as both aluminum or steel LCA.
You didn't specifically state that, but it's readily inferred by your first post, especially the 8th bullet point:
Aluminum upper control arms must have aluminum hubs to accommodate the difference in taper of the aluminum specific ball joint.
If there's anything that might confuse anyone, it's the phrasing "aluminum steel" that's in the graphic twice.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Can't" unless you are willing to: 1) ream the taper in the knuckle or 2) use ball joint taper sleeves. Which one to choose will depend on the nature of the mismatch. Of course, one must know the taper values of the parts and the dimensional limits to do this.

That being said, having the aluminum knuckles would be preferable.

Do you know or know where I could find the taper specs of the ball joint stud in the aluminum upper control arm and in the steel knuckle? I have some nearly-new aluminum arms from a '21 Sierra I'd like to swap to my '08. It's not worth it to me to get aluminum knuckles, especially since I'd have to get aftermarket drop knuckles. I have no problem with reaming my steel ones.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist putting that in there.

It's lowered but I assume it's the springs. I'll be on the slow road to looking for an aluminum rim to get my .000099999 more mpg.
less rotational mass..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019