Trying to get low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to installing my front suspension (tomorrow I'll tackle the rear) well sort of. I still have to trim the drivers lower ball joint then, I'll be done hah.
I've lowered a few trucks/suvs, my previous vehicles. Never a struts suspension though and never to the point of replacing control arms. I actually enjoyed it, even though it was 27 degrees out windy as fawk and pretty damn uncomfortable.

I just have a few questions. I'll be starting early tomorrow so I can try to finish with the rear by midnight, hah.

After lowering my 99 Tahoe with spindles and coils. I instantly noticed a difference.

After installing the passenger side and putting the wheel/tire back on. I did not notice a difference at all, in fact the caster camber is so far out it looks lifted. Now I know I'm going to need an alignment but it looks crazy.
Now, since the Pedders drop coils are advertised as a 2.33" drop and I used BellTech 2511 spindles and set the struts at 1/2" higher than stock to compensate for the lower coils.

I'm never good with getting pictures. I forgot to get a side view but, you can see how bad its out. And I also took a picture of the lower ball joint cut down. I don't think I've seen anyone post that before. Probably cut 1/3 of the nut down.

My goal is 4/6.

This is what my front consists of:
Bell Tech 25003 struts
Bell Tech 4955 alignment bushings
Bell Tech 2511 spindles
Pedders 2424 front drop coils
Moog upper arms
GM OE lower arms
New coil spring isolators
Moog K700432 end links (need to be replaced with shorter ones)

Sorry for ranting, I'm pooped. Been fighting a cold and am not sure it was the right time to try and tackle this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

front suspension-1.jpg front suspension-2.jpg front suspension-3.jpg front suspension-4.jpg front suspension-5.jpg

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another random question.

How far out of alignment should it be after installing the coils, alignment bushings, spindles and struts?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I guess nobody installed there own drop and has any experience in this department.

I'm going outside now to go over it again, maybe I over tightened something. Even though its basically upper arm bolts and lower arm bolts. Simple as can be.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Galante, I appreciate it.
I was hoping someone would drop in.
I think it'll settle after an alignment but, am not sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension is only "seeing" about 2" of drop (technically 1.83"). The drop from the spindles isn't supposed to affect anything in this sense. 2" isn't much and should result in a little bit of negative camber which can probably be aligned out just by adjusting the stock alignment eccentrics. I'm thinking the alignment bushings over-compensated for the minimal negative camber the drop caused and now you have positive camber. Hopefully the stock eccentrics have enough adjustment to bring it back in.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I went with the spindles, ease of installation and so they wont mess with geometry. I wasn't expecting this. That makes sense about the alignment bushings.
Do you think I should've stuck with stock arms?
Would I benefit more from the alignment bushings if I went lower on the adjustable struts?

edit: Are the alignment bushings meant more for coils and adjustable struts?

Thank you iamdub, I really appreciate your response.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the drivers side wrapped up on the ground on its own weight and its doing the same thing.

Would removing a couple of spacers from the struts help?

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have the weight of the vehicle on the suspension before tightening the a-arm mounting bolts. If you tightened those bolts with the suspension at full droop, the a-arm bushings are keeping the suspension extended, as you are seeing. Keeping them like that will reduce the life of the bushing.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go over everything now. and see how it goes.

After, if nothing I'll remove 3 rings for a 1.5" drop and hope that will adjust for the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout