Help diagnosing a popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
2012 LS 2WD 5.3

A few months ago, I replaced lots of front end parts, and had an alignment performed afterwards

Replaced -
Lower Control Arms (GM)
Inner Tie Rods (GM)
Outer Tie Rods (MOOG)
Sway Bar Bushings (MOOG)

Now I hear an occasional popping noise when turning hard at slow speeds. Especially if I'm driving up over the something like the driveway hump. I've read that another likely cause of the noise could be upper strut mounts (of course there could be other causes)

I plan to raise end front end and try to figure it out. Any way to diagnose the Struts if they're the cause?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it not make popping noises before the new parts?
Can you elaborate on the popping noise? Is it like a light clunk or hard clunk?

Might try and tighten your lower arm bolts.
Mine were not tight enough after I replaced them, alignment guy test drove it harder and heard something...
For that matter, anything that was replaced or disturbed when installing the new parts like swaybar endlinks.

Sorry I'm not sure how to test struts..

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the struts, it could be a steering shaft, or a transfer case bushing.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Did it not make popping noises before the new parts?
Can you elaborate on the popping noise? Is it like a light clunk or hard clunk?

Might try and tighten your lower arm bolts.
Mine were not tight enough after I replaced them, alignment guy test drove it harder and heard something...
For that matter, anything that was replaced or disturbed when installing the new parts like swaybar endlinks.

Sorry I'm not sure how to test struts..
It did not make this noise before the new parts were installed. Popping noise sounds like a light metallic 'clink'. I think I can feel it in the steering wheel when it happens. Sounds like the noise is originating from something thinner than a control arm, but that's just my speculation

When I installed the LCAs, I torqued them to spec. I suppose I could spec torque them again in case they've loosened. You're supposed to torque them with the vehicle weight on wheels, but getting access for that configuration is difficult, so I torqued them with no wheel installed, frame on jackstands

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Open hood, start motor, hold brake while nudging gas. Watch & listen to see if motor has excessive movement.

If it does inspect both mounts for collapse, cracks & leaking. You’ve just tightened up the 17 years of worn out bushings so it’s going to tug on the next weakest link during torque flex.

BTW nice job on giving the Ol’ Dog some love. How’s the ride since swapping the bushings?

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Open hood, start motor, hold brake while nudging gas. Watch & listen to see if motor has excessive movement.

If it does inspect both mounts for collapse, cracks & leaking. You’ve just tightened up the 17 years of worn out bushings so it’s going to tug on the next weakest link during torque flex.

BTW nice job on giving the Ol’ Dog some love. How’s the ride since swapping the bushings?
After swapping the bushings, the truck has road manners again. Significant improvement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts