Need to Replace Upper Control Arms and Ball Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinthewoods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The endlessness list of stuff I need to fix on my Tahoe goes on. So I got new tires today and then took my truck for an alignment. Was told my ball joints on both sides were messed up and the one on the control arms looked like its going to giving out soon. I got a quote for 1494.33. I decided to do them myself (never have done this repair before). I found a video online and doesn`t seem out of my skill level to do. I looked through a couple threads here and seen that Moog was good for the control arms and ball joints. This is what I have for the part list: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7612636&cc=0&pt=10401&jsn=3&optionchoice=0-0-1-1 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7612640&cc=0&pt=10401&jsn=483 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=418936&cc=0&pt=10070&jsn=487 Is this all I need as far as parts? I know Moog makes different series, are the control arms I have listed above good as OEM? Also I was wondering why is the driver side only 80 bucks compared to 141 for the passenger, is that normal? As always I love this group so much!!!! You guys have been such a help to me! Hope everyone has a good upcoming holiday.

IMG_2088.jpg

Reaction score
I'd suggest to also pick up a couple replacement upper mounting bolts, and possibly a couple alignment cam plates. The bolts are flat on the sides and slip through the alignment cam plates one way. They have a tendency to get rusted to the bushing on the arm (especially the front one on each side) and either break when removing or are in just bad shape. They're cheap

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely pick up two sets of these and guide pins as well. The bolts on my 08 Yukon were so rusted in place I had to spend two days cutting them out with a sawzall to get the arms off. Soak your old bolts with some liquid courage (wd40) and hopefully they come off easily

Screenshot_20231122_103315_Amazon Shopping.jpg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced upper and lower arms with Moog CK series (greaseable metal) Not sure what type is better, but those were the higher end Moog units. Looks like you are looking at the adjustable ball joint. ?

Replacing was fairly easy, somewhat time consuming.

undo front axle nuts (if 4WD)
remove wheels/jack up truck

Since I had a front spacer under shock, I had to undo upper arm from knuckle first.
(with jack under lower arm)

Then lower the lower arm and remove front struts. (with brakes removed and hanging nearby).

remove upper arm
loosen lower arm/balljoint nut.
angle the axle stub out of of the wheel bearing/knuckle, you may have to remove lower arm, support old balljoint with floorjack if u do

Install new lower arm, insert axle, install strut, install upper arm.

finish everything up and I like to tighten everything with the truck sitting on the ground.

I spent about $450 for the 4 arms.
Originally had a quote of about $1000 to do both lower balljoints.

FWIW my (2012) adjusters were not rusted. I could see how they would be in a winter state.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are quite well set up with tools, this could be a lengthy job for you. If you've got the time, go for it, but plan on this being a rather lengthy job with lots of grazed knuckles.

I recommend that you purchase OEM control arms WITH the ball joints ALREADY attached, as this will be a time saver for you. Check GMPartsDirect.com for pricing after entering your VIN, to get the proper parts.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the plastic OE locating inserts for the camber plates make sure to take pics and mark them to reinstall the same way/position. If worst case you have to go beating/cutting on the cam bolts be careful of the locating pins they can be accidently knocked out and lost.

OP
OP
Justinthewoods

Justinthewoods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd suggest to also pick up a couple replacement upper mounting bolts, and possibly a couple alignment cam plates. The bolts are flat on the sides and slip through the alignment cam plates one way. They have a tendency to get rusted to the bushing on the arm (especially the front one on each side) and either break when removing or are in just bad shape. They're cheap
Hey do you have a link for those or part number? I`m gonna purchase everything today and do it next weekend

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend doing the entire arm as that includes the bushings and balljoints, I would do upper and lower while in there:
Upper left: MOOG RK80669
Upper right: MOOG RK80670
Lower left: MOOG RK620888
Lower right: MOOG RK620889

Might as well do tie rods while you're in there:
Outter x2: MOOG ES800223
Inner x2: MOOG EV800084

Might as well do wheel bearings while you're in there:
both sides: MOOG 515096

Front sway bar end links:
MEVOTECH TXMS50820

Forum statistics