My turn at front end rebuild...2013 Escalade ESV AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

As I can never leave well enough alone, I am planning the next project for my 2013 Escalade ESV AWD.
She has 153,6** on the clock. As of now, all seems good in the front end. However, sooner or later, it will not be.
I plan to preemptively rebuild the front end between now and 160,000 miles.

I have read through some posts here on TYF, lookin' at you @donjetman :cool: .
I have dug through GMPartsGiant.com and RockAuto.com.

I want to run my shopping list by you guys for a BS filter:

-both upper control arms with ball joints and bushings. Looking at the forged steel arms
-upper ball joint nuts
-both lower control arms with ball joints and bushings. Looking at the forged steel arms
-lower ball joint nuts
-mounting bolts and nuts for all the control arms
-caster/camber adjusting kit
-antisway bar stabilizer links
-antisway bar mounting bushings
-inner tie rod ends
-inner tie rod end boot kits
-outer tie rod ends
-both CV axles
-CV axle nuts
-both front wheel bearing hubs with ABS speed sensors
-mounting bolts for the wheel bearing hubs
-both front differential mounting brackets with bushings
-mounting bolts and nuts for the front differential mounting brackets

My plan is to go all GM, with the exception of the caster/camber kits. I will go Moog for them. GM only offers the cams, I want the whole kits.

So far, the only hiccup I am having is finding the correct part number for the upper ball joint nut. Service manual states to replace the upper and lower ball joint nuts upon removal.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any strut (shock and spring and related items) parts on your list.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skpyle
my control arms w/bushings and w/ball joints came with nuts, cotter pins, grease zerks.
Yours don't?
Our Denali is pretty much rust free.
So, in hind sight I really didn't need the bearing hub bolts, or the camber/caster hardware kits. I could have easily reused the originals, but I installed the new parts.
I marked the old cams, then matched the marks on the new. This made alignment much easier.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hello All,

As I can never leave well enough alone, I am planning the next project for my 2013 Escalade ESV AWD.
She has 153,6** on the clock. As of now, all seems good in the front end. However, sooner or later, it will not be.
I plan to preemptively rebuild the front end between now and 160,000 miles.

I have read through some posts here on TYF, lookin' at you @donjetman :cool: .
I have dug through GMPartsGiant.com and RockAuto.com.

I want to run my shopping list by you guys for a BS filter:

-both upper control arms with ball joints and bushings. Looking at the forged steel arms
-upper ball joint nuts
-both lower control arms with ball joints and bushings. Looking at the forged steel arms
-lower ball joint nuts
-mounting bolts and nuts for all the control arms
-caster/camber adjusting kit
-antisway bar stabilizer links
-antisway bar mounting bushings
-inner tie rod ends
-inner tie rod end boot kits
-outer tie rod ends
-both CV axles
-CV axle nuts
-both front wheel bearing hubs with ABS speed sensors
-mounting bolts for the wheel bearing hubs
-both front differential mounting brackets with bushings
-mounting bolts and nuts for the front differential mounting brackets

My plan is to go all GM, with the exception of the caster/camber kits. I will go Moog for them. GM only offers the cams, I want the whole kits.

So far, the only hiccup I am having is finding the correct part number for the upper ball joint nut. Service manual states to replace the upper and lower ball joint nuts upon removal.
I personally recommend the dirt king fabrications locking cam plates over the stock sliders.
You won’t have to worry about knocking a alignment out of wack with them it’s well worth the 80$ or whatever they are now a days
Also kryptonite products has a lifetime warranty on ALL there suspension parts
I think the kryptonite ball joints were 60$ a piece
I used their wheel bearings also and have had 0 issues after 100,000 miles
I believe the bearings are rebranded Timkens but I may be wrong on that
But even if your rig is stock their stuff is about the best you can get for these rigs
IMG_4234.png65492568514__BE1C45EA-1F26-4F6A-8F67-3D488FF46BD1.jpegIMG_4162.png
I’ve had their complete front end kits minus the inner tie rods on two trucks now and my buddy did the full kit on his 05 and WOW what a difference

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@skpyle
my control arms w/bushings and w/ball joints came with nuts, cotter pins, grease zerks.
Yours don't?
Our Denali is pretty much rust free.
So, in hind sight I really didn't need the bearing hub bolts, or the camber/caster hardware kits. I could have easily reused the originals, but I installed the new parts.
I marked the old cams, then matched the marks on the new. This made alignment much easier.
Looking at photos on GMPartsGiant, and other places on the web, the 20869201 driver side and 20869202 passenger side lower control arm assemblies do not come with the new locking nuts. They do come with ball joints and bushings.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally recommend the dirt king fabrications locking cam plates over the stock sliders.
You won’t have to worry about knocking a alignment out of wack with them it’s well worth the 80$ or whatever they are now a days
Also kryptonite products has a lifetime warranty on ALL there suspension parts
I think the kryptonite ball joints were 60$ a piece
I used their wheel bearings also and have had 0 issues after 100,000 miles
I believe the bearings are rebranded Timkens but I may be wrong on that
But even if your rig is stock their stuff is about the best you can get for these rigs
View attachment 418183View attachment 418184View attachment 418185
I’ve had their complete front end kits minus the inner tie rods on two trucks now and my buddy did the full kit on his 05 and WOW what a difference
Thank you for this info! I will look into the Kryptonite parts and go from there.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I have been late to respond to this post, gentlemen. Work has been ugly, and I had to replace a leaking water heater in the house on my last day off.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at photos on GMPartsGiant, and other places on the web, the 20869201 driver side and 20869202 passenger side lower control arm assemblies do not come with the new locking nuts. They do come with ball joints and bushings.
Yes, when I replaced my front suspension, the nuts had to be ordered separately.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I replaced my front suspension, the nuts had to be ordered separately.
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you remember if the upper and lower ball joints used the same nuts? I can find listings for the lower ball joint nuts, but nothing for the upper.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan