Why is it so impossible to get a gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actual image of a damaged nipple I’m referring to I believe.
IMG_7860.jpeg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAJOR UPDATE: I pushed on the quick connection and heard a good click, and I think it’s fixed now

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that that mechanic is incompetent the quick connection was loose and may be causing the issue
ya if gas tanks were a issue it would definetely be posted around here and that is extremely rare the most you ever see is the fuel pump ring rusted to shit or pinched lines from changing the pump out or someone actually broke one or it got drilled or the tank straps rusted away. that's about it.
Can't say the same for any other manufactures, I don't really hang out on other forums, a little bit on gm-trucks from time to time. most of the other forums run really slow and are chock full of anoying ad's or are just dead....

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that that mechanic is incompetent the quick connection was loose and may be causing the issue
Incompetent mechanics seem to be THE industry standard today. And in addition to their abilities, they are also usually good at cheating.

That seems to be the same in the USA as in Germany.

Frank Zappa sang about this in his brilliant song Flakes in 1979.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if gas tanks were a issue it would definetely be posted around here and that is extremely rare the most you ever see is the fuel pump ring rusted to shit or pinched lines from changing the pump out or someone actually broke one or it got drilled or the tank straps rusted away. that's about it.
Can't say the same for any other manufactures, I don't really hang out on other forums, a little bit on gm-trucks from time to time. most of the other forums run really slow and are chock full of anoying ad's or are just dead....
my dads 96 suburban broke a similar piece off the gas tank back in the day when I was a grasshopper and with my luck with 2001 GM plastic I lost my original radiator side tank my heater core connectors and many more plastic pieces to age I didn’t blame GM if it is still broken besides the fact that it’s non repairable I think the quick connector right there is worn out so it’s leaking smoke when it slightly backs off but what I can do if the clips are just worn is force the pieces together softly and tape it so it can’t back off

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this one has a damaged quick connection from my body lift if you see that piece of plastic pushing up on the fitting the body lift forced the inner fender against the evap fitting and probably knocked it loose it would just be me chasing down the hose at the dealer at that point in time

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has the zone part number ZONC9315 body lift on the SUV’s and you’re having a evap issue the inner fender may be pushing on the evap fitting like it did on mine.
IMG_7866.png

Riccster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While you're sourcing a replacement gas tank, you should also use the opportunity to replace the fuel pump that's attached to the tank. I had my fuel pump go out on me while on a family trip. I was stranded on the highway, towed to a mechanic in some dinky town out in the middle of nowhere, and I was charged $1200 to put a new one in. It was highway robbery but I had no choice. As you can see, you have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. Now's a good time to put a fresh one in while you already have the tank off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan