Z55 suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brother has a 2007 tahoe that be bought from someone after an accident so he took it to a shop it have the frame straightened out and body work done. at the same time he converted to standard shocks. at 200k miles his tahoe drives like a million bucks. my 2011 Denali 120k miles z55 suspension feels like shit compared to his. does the z55 suspension go bad over time or is it one a shock blows then replace? is it only cause his is brand new? just recently had the brakes changed so I had the shop look over the suspension and they said everything was fine.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z55 suspension does get old. As the strut/shock wears out, the computer sees this and applies more current to the struts/shocks to maintain what it thinks the ride should be. It basically locks itself up on every bump. When I replaced mine and reset the ALC, it drives extremely smooth and responsive. I also have Eibach front and rear sway bars, Z55 is awesome when it's all working.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this something I can see or test with a tech 2?

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on converting simply because it's cheaper. whatever rides better is the way I'm going

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tech 2 would be needed.

Short story with mine... I have an 09 Tahoe LTZ and when I bought it, I knew the Z55 components were worn. I replaced it all, BUT..... As I was replacing mine, I did something stupid and blew out one of the new front struts as I was reassembling it. Since it was a weekend, I had to put standard front struts from Napa on so that I could drive the Tahoe home. I had to wait a week to get a new Z55 type front strut. I have to say that was the WORST week I EVER had with driving the Tahoe. The standard shocks just sucked so bad during any type of cornering, and I could feel every expansion joint in the road. I was so happy when I was able to get it all back together with the proper stuff after that week. Other guys say they have good results deleting Z55, but I think it's a good system.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I can feel every joint now. my wife even asks if we have a flat tire

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, whatever shop you went to, don't go back......
you can get oem replacements or the arnott replacements for a decent price at rockauto
you might need the airpump as well if it is not working when you turn the key to run.
with those shocks blown out it will ride like shit

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shop actually told me to order them online that it will be cheaper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member