Z55 AWD Yukon Denali Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Pointer 21 In my experience unless you are getting the exact same setup as someone else it can be nearly impossible to plan this all out perfectly, you’ll have to install the parts and then adjust from there depending on if you have clearance issues but it’s part of the journey! I’ve had clearance issues the last year and need to do a NorCal mod to fit my tires but I still drive it daily lol

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
@Pointer 21 In my experience unless you are getting the exact same setup as someone else it can be nearly impossible to plan this all out perfectly, you’ll have to install the parts and then adjust from there depending on if you have clearance issues but it’s part of the journey! I’ve had clearance issues the last year and need to do a NorCal mod to fit my tires but I still drive it daily lol
HA HA - I think you're reading my mind. I was just walking to my vehicle observing the overall dimensions and thought the EXACT same thing. Unfortunately, I had to air up my front tire while contemplating the issues here...My chrome rims are corroding on the inside creating a small (some weeks) Big leak. I'm close to throwing in the towel!

superjet223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a similar setup with new stock suspension, went with the 2.5" Pro Comp. Reposition ride height sensors and everything drives perfect. I'd love to get a little more height but it's just a different ball game at that point. And right now my control arm angles are fantastic. I have 33x11.5 tires and wheels I believe are -24 offset. Required NorCal mod and I believe I shaved a 'honeycomb' off or two from the front bumper bracket but there's no rubbing now. Drives like a dream.IMG_3619.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
I did a similar setup with new stock suspension, went with the 2.5" Pro Comp. Reposition ride height sensors and everything drives perfect. I'd love to get a little more height but it's just a different ball game at that point. And right now my control arm angles are fantastic. I have 33x11.5 tires and wheels I believe are -24 offset. Required NorCal mod and I believe I shaved a 'honeycomb' off or two from the front bumper bracket but there's no rubbing now. Drives like a dream.View attachment 376901
Nice set up! How wide are your rims (I realize you said -24) which I'd assume would be at least a 10+ width and maybe spacers? The height you're at is where I'd like to be... my OEM 22's are 9 inches so I don't believe they would stick out as much as yours.

superjet223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice set up! How wide are your rims (I realize you said -24) which I'd assume would be at least a 10+ width and maybe spacers? The height you're at is where I'd like to be... my OEM 22's are 9 inches so I don't believe they would stick out as much as yours.
I appreciate it. I have 20X10" wheels with 33x11.5" tires. Confirmed the -24 offset, no spacers. They stick out the fenders about 2", just right for that more aggressive look I was looking for but not too much to throw off the stock suspension/handling.

When ordering the wheels and tires I originally wanted 12" wide tires on the 10" wide wheels which my buddy has on his Chevy 2500 but I just don't have quite the same amount of space and I believe he trimmed his front bumper. So the tire guy thankfully talked me out down to the 11" which is perfect with no rub (after my slight mods) however I forgot to change the wheel width so my sidewall is more flush to the outside of the wheel that I'd prefer. I've scratched it on a curb once or twice. If I were to redo this I'd go with the 11" tire on a 9" wheel to give a more balloon to the sidewall to protect the wheel better.

I've looked on Custom Offsets Gallery for setup ideas too. I'm with you though, I'd love to get another inch or two of height but there's sacrifice and/or much more cost to do it right.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I have 20X10" wheels with 33x11.5" tires. Confirmed the -24 offset, no spacers. They stick out the fenders about 2", just right for that more aggressive look I was looking for but not too much to throw off the stock suspension/handling.

When ordering the wheels and tires I originally wanted 12" wide tires on the 10" wide wheels which my buddy has on his Chevy 2500 but I just don't have quite the same amount of space and I believe he trimmed his front bumper. So the tire guy thankfully talked me out down to the 11" which is perfect with no rub (after my slight mods) however I forgot to change the wheel width so my sidewall is more flush to the outside of the wheel that I'd prefer. I've scratched it on a curb once or twice. If I were to redo this I'd go with the 11" tire on a 9" wheel to give a more balloon to the sidewall to protect the wheel better.

I've looked on Custom Offsets Gallery for setup ideas too. I'm with you though, I'd love to get another inch or two of height but there's sacrifice and/or much more cost to do it right.

I agree with your logic all the way around and appreciate the perspective. I've been lifting trucks (not SUVS) since Highschool and have always liked an aesthetic look, as in I don't like too big of tires (not proportional to the lift height stuffing the wheel well). My old Z71 has a 6" inch all suspension lift and 35's with a clean look. The Denali was my "adult truck" that I purchased brand new and haven't done ANYTHING to it as far as mods...guessing I'm regressing (or rewarding myself) for keeping a vehicle for 11 years!!! HA HA

I'm leaning on a 305/45/22. My wallets hurting from maintenance this past year and now my chrome rims are leaking...too much bleeding and I may go another route. YIKES

tsuttie99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@superjet223
I've been lurking on here for the past couple weeks and made a login as I have been contemplating buying my boss's 07 yukon denali. I want it for camping, but the mag ride has me concerned. how difficult/expensive do we think it would be to add a bit of ground clearance as you have with yours? are you willing to discuss with me a bit in PM?

superjet223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@superjet223
I've been lurking on here for the past couple weeks and made a login as I have been contemplating buying my boss's 07 yukon denali. I want it for camping, but the mag ride has me concerned. how difficult/expensive do we think it would be to add a bit of ground clearance as you have with yours? are you willing to discuss with me a bit in PM?
I do a lot of backroad/forest road/DNR camping with it and have no issues. Honestly I just have the Pro Comp 2.5" level in the front which is like $140 and then I forget which 1" spacer for the rear air bag struts and then just repositioned that rear level sensor a bit so it airs up that last bit of difference to get level with the front. Then the 33" tires add negligible height. It's my everyday driver (soon to be my wife's kid mobile) so I wanted the stock Mag ride and air ride comfort and I am very happy. This replaced my 2000 XL with 4wd hi/low and this has been just as capable off road and much safer for the wife everyday driving in the wet PNW. I couldn't be happier with this truck and the 6.2 is a beast. Let me know if you want to know more. I did all this in my parking space at my old apartment.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@superjet223
Just a few things to mention in case it's helpful. The mag ride and air ride are 2 different but integrated systems - lots of confusion out there on that. Also, I have 2 XL Denali's that have their mag and air ride systems intact, and I love the system. Excellent ride and handling for such a large truck. It's reliable and easy to work on, and the parts are available on rock auto inexpensively if anything needs replacing. My 2007 still has its original front mag ride shocks with 220K on them. My 2012 does as well but it only has 130K. The rear air shocks and compressor are more likely to need replacing, but they're easy to do. And, as others have said, it's a straightforward process if you want to add ground clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts