Z 55, it's a four letter word

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@stgolling did you read the thread? His shocks aren't leaking air, he has a broken ride height sensor. As far as the clips on your air hoses- one of your air lines has probably been replaced with a Dorman or other aftermarket brand. Mine are all metal. And if you go with standard shocks you also need to replace the springs with ones for a Z71 suspension since the air shocks contribute to the stiffness of the rear suspension and if you just put standard shocks in, your truck will feel like mush in the ass end.

Confirmed. Did not replace springs initially and ass end felt like mush. :)

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, put the ride height in and still have the service light. My new pump runs for only about 6 seconds, so not worried about burning it out. There is actually a bypass kit installed, dealer put the factory one back on when they put the new pump on. As I have gone around to each shock, I have unplugged each shock, and they all have air. So....Friday the dealer will pull the codes at n/c. I like the ride because I tow a lot. if i had to switch to a different system, I would go with Nivomat. I can take it off my old truck, Coils and Shocks are relatively new. But I really want to get this to work.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't give up- once you figure out what's causing the message it's usually easy to fix. Keep us posted. Curious as to what the codes say. I added resistors to all 4 of my shocks to eliminate the magnetic damping errors since I installed shocks without that feature. I just wanted load leveling for towing.

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I had to delay my visit to the shop. Looking at replacement shocks, I see that Arnott has premium replacement. They are a little more, but seem to be built better. I have read in the reviews that people are not happy with rebuilt, but thoughts?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a rebuilt shock. I've heard theirs aren't really rebuilt but just tested and painted. Their new products are good. I have them on mine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you put the Premium Arnott on yours? Good to know.

I bought the complete kit which came with air compressor, dryer rebuild kit, and 4 shocks. They're not their premium shocks I don't believe- they bypass the electronic damping. The rear are Bilsteins though and I don't see those advertised anymore. Good value for me at the time. They ride pretty good but since I'm running 26" wheels...well you know.

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, had a brain fart. Previous owner had a by-pass system put in so there is a Schroeder valve in the bumper and the lines go to both rear shocks. Disconnected the lines, connected the bypass lines and inflates. Could not inflate because the valve on one of the shocks was leaking at the connector. Not at the base, but connector could not seal. Changed that line with a new line and seal and same thing. Could not get any air to stay. I don't see damage to the nipple, but I guess it could wear out? Is my logic sound?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of the nipple on a shock wearing out, but I guess it's possible. Maybe the shock is just worn out and leaky? Depending on the miles on them, it might be time to replace them. Maybe you could show us some pictures of what you have.

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally pulled the codes. Pressure valve. The new pump I put on? Defective. From Dorman. Ordered an Arnott from Best Buy Auto and it was cheaper. Frick a duck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo