Yukon wo't start, fuel pump not clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liftednali

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2000 GMC Yukon Denali (99 Body) with 162xxx Yesterday I drove it to and from work just fine, ran fine the whole day. Gas gauge doesn't work accurately however I go by trip miles and I have at least 50 more miles till empty so there is fuel. Today I went to start it to move it out of the way of the garage for my other vehicle and it won't turn over and I can not hear the fuel pump click on as normal. Is the fuel pump done or is it some other issue?

Thanks

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
First the fuel pump should not click. You probably mean the relay for it under the hood. Check the relay and its fuse nearby on the under hood block. If you can bypass the relay and can not register fuel pressure then the pump may have crapped out.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain...it won't turn over. does the engine crank when you try to start it? or does it do nothing? if we go buy your words..."it wont turn over" it means nothing happens when you turn the key to start it.
Get it right Sherlock.

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
Sorry let me rephrase it does act is it tries to start but nothing. And by the clicking I meant the noise that you hear before you turn the key to ignition. Checked the relay and the fuse, fuse looks fine, not sure on relay gonna get a new one and see if anyhing changes.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Its the fuel pump, called the tow driver to hook it and move it out my driveway so I could get my other car out and he tried banging on the fuel tank and it started for 2 seconds and instantly shut off. Time to fix it up and get a newer rig I suppose thats what she is screamin.

Thanks for your help guys

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Please note that when the key is turned to the run position the pump automatically runs for two seconds to build up fuel pressure before starting. Maybe that is what you might heard?

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
Please note that when the key is turned to the run position the pump automatically runs for two seconds to build up fuel pressure before starting. Maybe that is what you might heard?

Yeah the little winding sound that has always came on when you put the key in right before you start it does not come on anymore so it's done for.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some pretty poor troubleshooting.
Not saying it's not the pump, but you have along ways to go to prove it.
Follow the fuel lines from the engine back to the firewall. One will have a black screw on cap on it. Turn the key on, can turn it back off (just let the pump prime)
With the cap off it will look similar to a valve stem on a tire. Press it in like your trying to let air out.

Did you get any fuel? If not then your pump is not working. (does not mean it's bad)
Next you need to see if you have power to the pump.
Unplug it and have someone turn the key on while you check for power with a multimeter or test light.

Real unlikely that the relay or fuse would have a bad connection if hitting the tank got it to start.
Could be the plug on the pump, or the wiring in the tank though.

novamodeler3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2 ways to test a relay:

1: With a 2nd person, have them turn the key to the "ON" position, while you are under the hood with your finger on the Fuel Pump relay. If you can feel a small tick, click, bump, etc, its working correctly.

If you feel no click, see option 2. If you feel a click and still no start, then chase some more in depth issues. Filter, lines, wiring.

2: Find another relay that's not significant for use at the moment, that you KNOW operates correctly (I always use the headlight relay usually) and swap it out.

Electrical diagnostics are very straightforward and usually extremely easy. Best tool is a diagram and a test light.

-Justin

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
2 ways to test a relay:

1: With a 2nd person, have them turn the key to the "ON" position, while you are under the hood with your finger on the Fuel Pump relay. If you can feel a small tick, click, bump, etc, its working correctly.

If you feel no click, see option 2. If you feel a click and still no start, then chase some more in depth issues. Filter, lines, wiring.

2: Find another relay that's not significant for use at the moment, that you KNOW operates correctly (I always use the headlight relay usually) and swap it out.

Electrical diagnostics are very straightforward and usually extremely easy. Best tool is a diagram and a test light.

-Justin

A relay can click or move as it should and still not let power pass thru from damaged contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401