New fuel pump, fuel filter, and starter. Still not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timireland77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon with the 5.7L. I just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and starter and it won't start. I'm getting fuel to the throttle body. It acts like it wants to fire but won't. Any help would be appreciated. Time up is less than a year old as well.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have good spark (do you have a spark tester?), a fuel pressure test would probably be in order. Spec is 60-66 psi with key on, engine off. Watch to see if it drops when the key is turned off.

If you have a scanner, see what the engine coolant temperature sensor is reading. This is the one by the thermostat, not the one on the driver side head. If it’s reporting an oddball number, it’ll throw off the computer and can flood it. A workaround is to hold the gas to the floor when cranking. This temporarily stops injector flow but is more commonly noticed on hot starts.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you hear the pump cycle with key on, engine off? And, while you said the tune up components were a year old, there is a known issue with the distributor cap for that model. Some manufacturers had a bad run and they would fail prematurely, or cause a crappy running condition. Might be worth a quick look for cracks or arcing as well.

But, do as others have stated above and check spark, fuel pressure, and coolant temp as well.

OP
OP
T

Timireland77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming you have good spark (do you have a spark tester?), a fuel pressure test would probably be in order. Spec is 60-66 psi with key on, engine off. Watch to see if it drops when the key is turned off.

If you have a scanner, see what the engine coolant temperature sensor is reading. This is the one by the thermostat, not the one on the driver side head. If it’s reporting an oddball number, it’ll throw off the computer and can flood it. A workaround is to hold the gas to the floor when cranking. This temporarily stops injector flow but is more commonly noticed on hot starts.
So I have 64 psi and spark is good. I've seen some people say it may be the crankshaft position sensor. It will crank and crank but not start. My battery isn't liking that. Is the crankshaft position sensor my problem then?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B-train mentioned distributor caps. I’ve had one (new, actually) that failed. The spark on the particular cylinder was there, but was weak compared to the others. Delco caps used to be the ones to go with but that’s been a few years now.

Did the fuel pressure hold within a few pounds after the key was turned off?

Hold the gas to the floor and see if it fires.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That motor has crank and cam position sensors. That is also a possibility. If I remember correctly, I thought the engine would run if 1 failed, but in more of a safe mode. It's be 25 years since I worked on those..... I do remember a customer truck that has a bad cam sensor and I thought it would still run, but turned the CEL on.

Does your truck have a mass air flow sensor? If so, disconnect it and try to start it. If they fail, you can unplug them and the ECM defaults to a base map as a limp mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019