New fuel pump, fuel filter, and starter. Still not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's most likely a distributor/rotor/cap related problem.

Those can be annoying to resolve because it can be an intermittent no fire. Sometimes moisture or cold weather causes it. Or there's a worn shaft or gear worn in the distributer shaft. It fools you because you'll have spark and everything else needed, but engine still won't fire. I think what happens is the spark jumps around in the cap, and goes to the wrong cylinder somehow. If it's wet or humid, put a heater or hair blow dryer toward the distributer and let it heat up for 45 minutes and see if that does it. Remove the cap and see if there's excessive play on the rotor; crank the engine and make sure the rotor rotation seems consistent with engine rpm. Aftermarket caps are notorious for having crank-no-fire issues and short lives on these engines; most guys carry an extra spare cap on their glovebox.

Yes, engine will start and run w/o cam position sensor. Some aftermarket cps seem to also cause starting issues. You'll need a scope to properly diagnose that.

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon with the 5.7L. I just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and starter and it won't start. I'm getting fuel to the throttle body. It acts like it wants to fire but won't. Any help would be appreciated. Time up is less than a year old as well.
Run that fuel to the throttle body part on a 99 past me again.

Mater

Reaction score
yup i have had a brand new rotor just fall a part less then a year. now i have gotten into the habit of checking new parts first just do to the recent quality hit even on GM parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar