XM vs Standard Radio Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomustang

Reaction score
Blunty, why does the factory FM radio quality suck? Did GM get a marketing deal to have better output from the amps on XM compared to being on regular radio? Any other car I've been in with factory (FM) radio sounds much much better

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You may be listening to HD radio in other vehicles. HD can make regular FM sound amazing. In my opinion XM still sounds too compressed to sound any good. GM not doing anything wrong here, its just the difference in technologies.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
No HD quality radio in other vehicles, all the older mid year 2000's fords/toyotas didnt have it

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Dunno Amigo. I have zero issues with mine. I did notice some fade every now and again and I think its due to the ****** internal antenna on the glass.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
It looks like the Surround option under the audio options blanks out when you switch off from XM, I get that there's a higher quality of sound from XM/HD channels, but standard radios I've used before still had better sound than the basic denali/escalade system for FM

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blunty, why does the factory FM radio quality suck? Did GM get a marketing deal to have better output from the amps on XM compared to being on regular radio? Any other car I've been in with factory (FM) radio sounds much much better

I have to agree when you switch from XM to FM it is day and night difference for me as well.

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree when you switch from XM to FM it is day and night difference for me as well.
I third this opinion... XM is 100 times better. Not to mention, my factory sub becomes non existent when listening to FM radio....

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012with bose and dolby sounds great !

I did notice that i have to reselect the custom eq ootions when switching inputs.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
I third this opinion... XM is 100 times better. Not to mention, my factory sub becomes non existent when listening to FM radio....

What I've done is drop the Treble a couple notches and the Mid down around half way and left the bass all the way up, so I can turn the volume up and it helps a little hear the bass more.

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I've done is drop the Treble a couple notches and the Mid down around half way and left the bass all the way up, so I can turn the volume up and it helps a little hear the bass more.
Awesome. I'll try it out. Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts