Would this be a good fan upgrade 2013 Yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the K5L option
If you are going to upgrade it then I would use OEM, Every seller on eBay selling used ones seem to say there's are k5l but I would verify the option with the seller, new OEM will be excessive cost. Mine came out of a 07 hummer h2 7/9 blade, put new motors in it in 2017 and have had to unfortunately replace both motors. One went 3 years and one went 5. I still wouldn't use aftermarket, I'm just rough on mine

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that you should upgrade the alternator also when running the larger current draw K5L fans because of headlight and dash lights dimming at night when fans came on?

It might've been another issue though.
well mine did have 160amp oem already, I have upgraded mine for the audio system and 2nd battery.
never had any issue's with lights dimming myself

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that you should upgrade the alternator also when running the larger current draw K5L fans because of headlight and dash lights dimming at night when fans came on?
Not been a problem for us. All three have 700 watt fans and the pickups run 145 amp alternators. Only time I've experienced flickering was when the battery was discharged or on it's way out.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Denali has the Mac Daddy cooling system for its 6.2L. If the radiator has no history, replace it simply due to its age. All radiators are prone to collecting the equivalent of brake dust on the interior and exterior surfaces. When it starts, it grows like barnacles on a whale.

Start with a flush and Rad replacement, OEM only, they have a lifetime guarantee now. If you want to know if it was part of the problem, weigh the new and old one after it’s dried out in the sun for a week. If it’s significantly heavier, that’s not good.

Replace the coolant reservoir too. Our 08 Denali would overheat at idle on 100* days with the a/c on waiting for the kids to come out from school. In the months following we found both the Rad and Exp tank had cracks that wept and caused pressure loss which led to the overheat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali