Upgrading Vehicle - 2013 Yukon XL 2500 6.0 vs. 2019 Yukon XL 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of dimensions I think about for towing: Stability (safety), pulling power, cooling, durability, comfort, cost. And it's a matter of solving for all of these based on your personal priorities that results in either happiness or discomfort. I tow a 7500 lb camper with a modified 2012 Yukon XL Denali pushing 450-460 HP & TQ into the driveline, along with all of the attendant cooling challenges that brings with it.

Stability is probably the most subjective, emotionally-laden thing on this list. For every driver who swears by their 3/4 ton truck for towing superiority, there are probably 4 drivers with half tons getting the job done safely. I find my half-ton XL with a well set-up WDH to be plenty stable for me to feel comfortable 100% of the time. That means that I can feel a little pull when being passed by a truck, but I've gotten so used to it after 20K+ towing miles that I don't even think about it any more.

Durability is probably the second most emotionally-laden item on the list. To my knowledge, not one study exists of long-term durability when towing 7000 pounds behind one of these trucks, so all of us are speculating about it. Some folks have replaced their rear axle more than once, while others never have any problems. I believe the AWD of the Denali helps a lot here because both axles are sharing the pulling burden. For those with 6-speeds, the torque converter is the weak link and both the 1500 and 2500 use the same TC. I had mine upgraded to a billet unit with a stronger lockup clutch, so there are cost-effective ways to maximize the durability of the 1500 platform. If I end up having a problem with the rear axle, I can upgrade to a 14-bolt out of a 2WD Escalade, no problem, for about $500.

Pulling power is mostly a function of engine power and final drive ratios. I have the 3.42 axles on mine and they do the job. With the higher output of the 6.2 + cam, pulling power isn't an issue. I can keep up with traffic in just about any situation. That said, 3.73 would be pretty much ideal, and that's a change that can be made for a couple thousand.

Cooling can be an issue on the half-tons, but again, cost-effective mods are available to negate it. I have a fan-forced transmission cooler mounted below the bumper behind the lower grille, and a 2-row Cold Case radiator. I no longer have any cooling problems - even when pulling over the high mountain passes out west.

Comfort is a nod toward the half-tons when they serve double duty as a family hauler when not towing. The mag ride and rear air suspension on the Denalis provides a superior ride - especially when lightly loaded.

Cost is a significant factor. Right now, the cost differential between similarly equipped half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks is 50%-100% with similar age and mileage. But the premium fuel requirement of the 6.2 can eat up that difference over time.

Every now and then I find myself looking at 3/4 ton Suburbans and Yukons, but with the way mine is set up right now, I can't justify spending the additional money. If I were starting over knowing that I'd be pulling a 7500 lb camper, I would shop for a 2500. But I have maybe $4K in parts into the mods I've made so far to my 1500 so I'm still money ahead until the premium fuel tax catches up with me.
Spot on bro!

Forgot about the 14 bolt in some of the eskys...

I could only imagine 3.73 gears how much better it would be... but know how bad the gas mileage would tank with my 80 mph freeway flying.

My 15 with the Thermostat reprogram on the trans keeps the temps in the 160s to 170s range when towing. Your mods deff fix all the issues with 1500 towing that could ever happen.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of dimensions I think about for towing: Stability (safety), pulling power, cooling, durability, comfort, cost. And it's a matter of solving for all of these based on your personal priorities that results in either happiness or discomfort. I tow a 7500 lb camper with a modified 2012 Yukon XL Denali pushing 450-460 HP & TQ into the driveline, along with all of the attendant cooling challenges that brings with it.

Stability is probably the most subjective, emotionally-laden thing on this list. For every driver who swears by their 3/4 ton truck for towing superiority, there are probably 4 drivers with half tons getting the job done safely. I find my half-ton XL with a well set-up WDH to be plenty stable for me to feel comfortable 100% of the time. That means that I can feel a little pull when being passed by a truck, but I've gotten so used to it after 20K+ towing miles that I don't even think about it any more.

Durability is probably the second most emotionally-laden item on the list. To my knowledge, not one study exists of long-term durability when towing 7000 pounds behind one of these trucks, so all of us are speculating about it. Some folks have replaced their rear axle more than once, while others never have any problems. I believe the AWD of the Denali helps a lot here because both axles are sharing the pulling burden. For those with 6-speeds, the torque converter is the weak link and both the 1500 and 2500 use the same TC. I had mine upgraded to a billet unit with a stronger lockup clutch, so there are cost-effective ways to maximize the durability of the 1500 platform. If I end up having a problem with the rear axle, I can upgrade to a 14-bolt out of a 2WD Escalade, no problem, for about $500.

Pulling power is mostly a function of engine power and final drive ratios. I have the 3.42 axles on mine and they do the job. With the higher output of the 6.2 + cam, pulling power isn't an issue. I can keep up with traffic in just about any situation. That said, 3.73 would be pretty much ideal, and that's a change that can be made for a couple thousand.

Cooling can be an issue on the half-tons, but again, cost-effective mods are available to negate it. I have a fan-forced transmission cooler mounted below the bumper behind the lower grille, and a 2-row Cold Case radiator. I no longer have any cooling problems - even when pulling over the high mountain passes out west.

Comfort is a nod toward the half-tons when they serve double duty as a family hauler when not towing. The mag ride and rear air suspension on the Denalis provides a superior ride - especially when lightly loaded.

Cost is a significant factor. Right now, the cost differential between similarly equipped half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks is 50%-100% with similar age and mileage. But the premium fuel requirement of the 6.2 can eat up that difference over time.

Every now and then I find myself looking at 3/4 ton Suburbans and Yukons, but with the way mine is set up right now, I can't justify spending the additional money. If I were starting over knowing that I'd be pulling a 7500 lb camper, I would shop for a 2500. But I have maybe $4K in parts into the mods I've made so far to my 1500 so I'm still money ahead until the premium fuel tax catches up with me.
@Geotrash Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences with towing. Theres definitely more to towing than my current knowledge/needs and theres lot more to consider between various factors, each contributing to overall satisfaction and safety.

Your insightful analysis of stability, power, cooling, durability, comfort, and cost offers a valuable perspective for myself and those in a similar situation. Your own experience with the 2012 Yukon XL Denali, adjustments, and cost-effective approaches also gives me a lot to think about and consider!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm at a crossroads and could really use your insights. Currently, I'm driving a 2012 Yukon XL with nearly 200k miles on it. I'm looking to make an upgrade – aiming for a vehicle with fewer miles and a bit more towing power.

In my local market, there are a couple of newer 2019 Yukon XLs equipped with the 6.2 engine that have caught my eye. However, just recently, I stumbled upon a 2013 Yukon XL 2500 with an impressive low mileage of only 115k.

While I absolutely prefer the exterior look of the 4th generation models and all the extra bells and whistles they come with, the 2013 option comes at roughly half the price of the newer models. Moreover, I've been contemplating that the 2013 might have fewer potential issues compared to the 2019.

Does anyone have experience with both of these engines? I'm curious to know how they perform against each other in terms of power and reliability.
I own a 6.2L LS AND LT in my Denalis (08 & 17). I also had a 2015 3500HD work truck with a 6.0L that I put 165k on in 5 years.

The 6.0L is just a great Clydesdale of an engine. It runs strong, smooth, and doesn't really care one bit how it's used - from low speed lugging, to mashed to the floor moving 18000 lbs. All the while returning a decent 10-11 mpg (truck weighed 12k all the time, and I didn't baby it most days on the tollway). Would ABSOLUTELY buy a truck with this engine for the right price.

The LT in my 2017 is also an animal. It definitely has more torque than a LS motor and pulls well when needed. It'll loaf down the road and get 20 mpg on a trip, or burn the tires from a stop. It is more complex than a 6.0L for sure with direct injection and AFM. I have 137k on it so far and it's been good to us.

Depending on what you are towing, I would lean towards the 2500 overall. The regular yukons just aren't up to heavy loads. They pull them, but the needed support for heavy tongue weight, etc is lacking a little in my book. Again, depending on what's being towed.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the 6.0 still the LQ4 or is that just the older Gen 3? I remember those were the hot ticket to swap with a ls1 for going fast.

always wondered why gm used the 6.0 in the hybrids. common thinking would say 4.8, long stroke small piston is most efficient but with the mileage you got towing, I wonder if the big bore Cathedral head works best around the 1800-2500 on 87 that these engines live at.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the Gen IV version was the LY6 (2007-2009) and then the L96 which was the FlexFuel version of the LY6. The L96 was used in the 2500/3500 K2s and even the Isuzu Box Trucks and even Volvo Marine uses them for boats.
Correct. My wife daily drives a 2020 Express passenger Van, which was the last year of the L96. It's got the 6L90e (with a dipstick still!) and 3.42s. I wish it would of had 3.73s like the 2500 trucks.

It'll sometimes downshift if a modest throttle is applied on the highway, but fells a bit more powerful in the 2,200+ rpm range than the LQ4 in my suburban. These are both heavy vehicles so neither are winning any kind of races. I really like how smooth the L96 idles and runs. Both great engines.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. My wife daily drives a 2020 Express passenger Van, which was the last year of the L96. It's got the 6L90e (with a dipstick still!) and 3.42s. I wish it would of had 3.73s like the 2500 trucks.

It'll sometimes downshift if a modest throttle is applied on the highway, but fells a bit more powerful in the 2,200+ rpm range than the LQ4 in my suburban. These are both heavy vehicles so neither are winning any kind of races. I really like how smooth the L96 idles and runs. Both great engines.
The torque curves these motors love to pull at is 2-2500 rpm. Just the normal across the board with all the options. 5.3-6.2L the 4.8 wants some more RPM up to 2800 in my exp.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the 2013. The newer 6.2 was very nice but also alot more money and we decided against spending that much. Bringing her home today and will try to get some photos! Thank you to everyone that posted and shared all their insight and experiences1692123391497.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts