Will I have issues with this cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about cam specs, choosing a cam, etc. I contacted Comp Cams, told a tech what I was trying to achieve, and he suggested this cam:

COMP Cams#249-08-465-8 XFI Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
Small Block Chevy 305/350 1987-95
  • Lift: .560"/.555" With 1.6 Rockers
  • Duration: 260°/270°
  • Lobe Separation Angle: 113°
  • RPM Range: 1200-5200
He also suggested 1.60 ratio rockers with it. I have not yet ordered a set of rockers. Will I have clearance issues with the OEM rockers?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i think you only will have it if you only use the 1.6's and those would be the push rod holes in the heads. the tech said this cam was doable in a vortec btw?

OP
OP
Back N Black

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I read an article about aftermarket rockers on Vortec heads, and I think I need to either buy the tools to modify the heads, or send them to a shop, and buy the 1.6 rockers. The tech told me this cam would work with those rockers. I don't think he's an idiot because he is a "tech" for a company that makes cams. The main thing I'm worried about, is if I will have too much lift, hit the valve covers, bend pushrods, etc. I don't know what the stock rocket ratio is. Is it going to give me too much lift, or not enough? I've never cammed ANYTHING.

PinkAle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh just slap a rocket on it and call it a day. Just kidding I read the threads and ask myself ( Is everyone on here a mechanic I'm lucky I can change my oil!) but I will say you're in the right place

OP
OP
Back N Black

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks! I know that if I use a more aggressive rocker ratio I will need to make several modifications. Might pick up another set of heads. On Rock Auto, they sell bare heads for like $230 IIRC. I wonder about my heads though.

I wonder about my heads though, I think they're the early design. Truck was built in 6/96, but the heads don't have the sawtooth casting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700