cam & bolt ons for low end/ pulling power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be rebuilding my L31in my '98 yukon and would like to build it up for some more low end, possibly a little mid range as well.

I'm pondering on cam choices.

cam part # shouldn't have spaces, the format changes when I submit the post.

comp cams K08-300-8 cam kit looks like a good choice for what I want, all applications say that it is not comparable with my engine though.
1000-5000 operating range.
Hydraulic roller cam, (for 1987-1998 factory roller cam engines) 112 lobe separation, .450 in / .480 ex lift with factory rockers.
also is computer control capable

Comp says it gives great low end and mileage, doesn't require a perf. Tune either.

The k0 8 - 300 - kit & 1617-16 1.52 rockers + pushrods is well over $1000

I'm just wondering if there is an alternative cam available for lower pricing.

Also need header advise.
short tubes or long tubes?
-Pacesetter 2262 is the only long tubes I can find for 4wd chassis.
-shorts are very available.

Can't find any mid length headers anymore.

I will also be installing:
-delphi mpfi upgrade
-Volant CAI
-Possibly a v-max spacer
-New converters ( if I go with long tubes then I'm going to use flowmaster 2.5" individuals and have a shop pipe them in)
-Another dual exhaust with some type of performance mufflers (have flow master now)

Last edited:

Stiffler63

Reaction score
If you are rebuilding the 5.7 already might be cheaper to do a 5.3 swap to get the power plus better fule econ

OP
OP
Jerky Arm Ape

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $ to horsepower ratio of the manifold spacer may be a little out of whack but it does increase the plenum air volume capacity which is useful immediately off idle when accelerating.
it doesn't add a lot of power or make much difference but it is a bolt on, most of which won't make a difference by themselves.
They work together to make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove