Who had their 21’s out in the snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campingfamco

Reaction score
I’ve had it out in the snow a few times now. 21 Denali 4wd with air ride but not with the fancy lockers. We have the 22’s on it. We wanted to save money :)

I was really worried how it would perform in the snow. I wasn’t impressed with my 16 yukon. Acceleration was fine on it but handling and braking it seemed to slide around a lot.

The 21 acted like there wasn’t any snow or ice on the road. I was really impressed. In our neighborhood which has pretty much turned to ice it does great. AWD seemed to work well, but 4WD definitely gave a little bit more confidence. Braking and turning were very impressive given the size and weight of the vehicle. It did much better than my grand Cherokee trail hawk. I still think the best snow vehicle I’ve ever owned were my rubicon wranglers. This one is probably the best after that. Even compared to my 2500 sierra and other jeeps.

You’ll be happy.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has more to do with the tires than anything. The Michelin Defenders are FAIR at best in snow. The BFG KO's are awesome, just don't like the noise...

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has more to do with the tires than anything. The Michelin Defenders are FAIR at best in snow. The BFG KO's are awesome, just don't like the noise...

The bfg are fantastic if I was off roading on a regular basis and facing challenging terrain. But for on street driving and mild off roading (farm field mud ) the defenders have never let me down. I was good up until 24” of snow. And then I stopped because I feared damaging the plastic on the front of the truck.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had it out in the snow a few times now. 21 Denali 4wd with air ride but not with the fancy lockers. We have the 22’s on it. We wanted to save money :)

I was really worried how it would perform in the snow. I wasn’t impressed with my 16 yukon. Acceleration was fine on it but handling and braking it seemed to slide around a lot.

The 21 acted like there wasn’t any snow or ice on the road. I was really impressed. In our neighborhood which has pretty much turned to ice it does great. AWD seemed to work well, but 4WD definitely gave a little bit more confidence. Braking and turning were very impressive given the size and weight of the vehicle. It did much better than my grand Cherokee trail hawk. I still think the best snow vehicle I’ve ever owned were my rubicon wranglers. This one is probably the best after that. Even compared to my 2500 sierra and other jeeps.

You’ll be happy.
Great to know! Glad to see improvements in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed Seventy One

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Goodyear Trailer Runner ATs on my Z71 had done fine with auto 4wd. It doesn't like low octane fuel at 10,000ft when it's -9F though. Started rough and tripped a CEL.

Robert in CA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Z71 was great - took it for a couple donuts in a corn field too. I'll probably put more aggressive ATs on it eventually, but the OEM ones held their own just fine.
Z71 Tahoe with AT/KO2's performed really well in the snow. There was no traffic in the area by Kirkwood Ski Resort, since I did several hard stops and they held very very well.
20201205_162549.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157