Who bough Yukon or Tahoe does mpgs increase after breakin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O I forgot 2 adults 5 children from 18-5 full luggage and this is a Denali XL longer and heavy the your RST.
You have to let the computer work but you only have 300+ miles is not enough.
Look this picks just from Brick NJ to Williamsburg VA 2 weeks ago.
Look the fuel range.6e8f87a7ef52f5260f1469517ba3c0f9.jpgView attachment 206979

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half of what it should be... According to what exactly?

According to the fact that the majority of people get 20+- mpg with these suv’s.

My wifes denali now has over 50k miles on it. The lifetime average is over 19mpg. I have never seen a tankfull average much lower than that.

Sure, driving style, location, weather, loads etc. all play a role in what mpg you will get. But single digits? My god we had to be towing an 8000 pound trailer to get below 10mpg.

Something aint right.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Florida people and places where flat terrain are capable to get up to 22-24 mpg.
If you towing, mountainside or idle a lot you won't get anything.
Of course, drive style and vehicle size will help as well.
According to the fact that the majority of people get 20+- mpg with these suv’s.

My wifes denali now has over 50k miles on it. The lifetime average is over 19mpg. I have never seen a tankfull average much lower than that.

Sure, driving style, location, weather, loads etc. all play a role in what mpg you will get. But single digits? My god we had to be towing an 8000 pound trailer to get below 10mpg.

Something aint right.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... between these two other threads you started:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tahoe-6-2-with-10-speed-milage-issue-buyer-remorse.106573/

And
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...mpgs-please-post-your-mpgs-to-compare.106583/

There are actually quite a few posts and responses from various owners experience with mileage based on different driving styles. Some various owners have given you feedback of their experience getting low 9-12 MPGs (that’s right in the range of what you’re experiencing). So If other owners are reporting how they experience MPG’s close to your range based on various driving styles how does any of that support “might be rare to have an mpg issue in something new” ?

This member goes on to talk about if they’re driving lots of short small trips then they see low MPG too.

You respond and say that is the type of driving you’re doing.

There’s been multiple posts in your other threads about new engine “break-in” from myself and other users. Giving advice and their experiences.

But to clarify a little further so that we’re all on the same page...

You purchase a brand new Tahoe RST with the 6.2L engine; 6.2 and 10 speed in the RST I believe is the “performance package”. A full size performance SUV with the largest engine option available. Yet your biggest most #1 concern that has you stressed out and worried that you got a “lemon” is the poor gas mileage you’re experiencing?

To be honest if the #1 concern and experience you care about is gas mileage then maybe you purchased the wrong type of vehicle.

They sticker on the window said 14 mpg in city and 22 in highway that why and what concerns me I have always driven Mercedes their mpg are always close with the mpgs of the sticker epa on the other hand the is not even close to it Tahoe I might as well purchased a g wagon that the point I’m getting at I didn’t buy the g wagon cause I didn’t feel like over spending on gas . I bought the Tahoe because of weight to safety and it way more economical to maintain and keep and parts are all over to fix them it has high mpg compare to the vechile I looked at the same weight ratio and size. Plus I’m not towing anything people have posted my around my mpgs 8 or 9 mpg have told me they are towing a trailer and that why they get mpgs. But myself I’m not towing anything that why I ask if it cause the engine is not broken in yet

Last edited:

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

im a stressed out concerned Tahoe new member cause I paid over 70 k I sure want my moneys worth not a lemon .And your right it just I’m anxious to know if this vechile I bought has a problem . I guess it might be rare to have an mpg issue in something new. And no one has given me a good detail of the breaking in.
You're worrying for nothing. This is normal. Just take a couple of 100 mile highway trips this weekend and it will get better. Btw i average 14.8 mpg mostly city with my homemade tune 2007 yukon denali.

nahfwt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I understand you got this after calculating from your first tank? Is it possible that this tank was filled by the dealer when you took delivery and wasn’t filled to the tip top? Even a couple of gallons can dramatically affect your mileage. I would track your next few tankfuls and see what happens.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand you got this after calculating from your first tank? Is it possible that this tank was filled by the dealer when you took delivery and wasn’t filled to the tip top? Even a couple of gallons can dramatically affect your mileage. I would track your next few tankfuls and see what happens.
When I got it from the dealer the tank was topped off only thing I can think of is the engine still it broken in or the the computer has a breakin program to waste more gas first 1000k to protect the engine . I read that once in an article not sure if that true or not

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where you located,state please?
When I got it from the dealer the tank was topped off only thing I can think of is the engine still it broken in or the the computer has a breakin program to waste more gas first 1000k to protect the engine . I read that once in an article not sure if that true or not

Garandman

Reaction score
1. We used to log all fuel use of our fleet vehicles. First two or three tanks were always very low. Most vehicles continue to improve slightly up to 10,000 miles.

2. We check the trip computers and our Tahoe is the most optimistic yet: 16%. In other words if the trip computer says we got 20mpg, fuel consumption actually shows it to be 16.8.

3. A lot of people here outside the snowbelt have 2WD models that get better mileage.

4. You bought a 5600 lb vehicle with a big V8 and huge square front. What did you expect? The EPA Highway cycle averages 48mph, those EPA numbers are rubbish.

5. If you ask most people what they get for mpg, the number they will usually give you is “One time, best ever, using trip computer.” In mixed city and highway driving we are getting 14-16mpg, which was expected.

6. 9mpg for first or second tank wouldn’t surprise me, after thst, something is up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne