Which power steering fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I always thought dot4 (synthetic) fluid was not to be used in anti-lock brake systems?
I've heard not to use DOT 5 with ABS systems because it foams too easily and will foam when the ABS solenoids cycle on/off rapidly. Don't know how true that is though.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard not to use DOT 5 with ABS systems because it foams too easily and will foam when the ABS solenoids cycle on/off rapidly. Don't know how true that is though.

Don't mix DOT 5 with DOT 3/4. They're not compatible with each other. DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 are all glycol-ether based. DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked in the owners manual and it lists DOT 3. So that's what I will use. I don't tow or drive on a lot of hills. Maybe only going down the Grapevine from time to time or coming down Hwy 80 from Tahoe.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned.... I was watching a Scotty Kilmer video and he talked about using and recommended synthetic PS fluid. The label on the bottle was mostly covered and he didn't mention a brand but the label I could see matched LugeGuard. So there's that.

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y’all, besides the OEM power steering fluid from the dealer, what fluid would be good for my 2002 Yukon. Last time I changed the fluid I used dealer fluid but it was a little pricey. Also what I used to empty the reservoir was a turkey baster with a short piece of hose on it, it worked well.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, besides the OEM power steering fluid from the dealer, what fluid would be good for my 2002 Yukon. Last time I changed the fluid I used dealer fluid but it was a little pricey. Also what I used to empty the reservoir was a turkey baster with a short piece of hose on it, it worked well.
Since your dealing with old system google part number in owners manual for fluid you will come up with the same product some where else at better price but you will probably find they have superseded another part number that will work with original fluid.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STEER2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345