Which pads and disk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hi,
I need to change my pads on my 2003 Tahoe 4wd. front and rear.

I've looked at Rockauto but I'm lost with all the stuff they sell.

Which pads should I buy.

I like the "High Performance/Heavy Duty ".

But do I need to have specila disk/rotor for ceramic pads?

I was thinking of thoses ones fir the rear :
BENDIX Part # D834CT CT-3 Ceramic; Length=7.23; Plate=.240
Abutment Clip Kit Included; OE Ceramic; With 3.73, 4.50 & 4.65 axle ratio; Rear; 4WD

And those for the front :
BENDIX Part # MKD785FM Fleet MetLok; Semi-Metallic
Abutment Clip Kit Included; Fleet MetLok; Front

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit up clkelley. He sells R1 Concepts at a very good price! He's a vendor on this forum.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you would like to know more about R1Concepts performance rotors and pads, let me know. I am a dealer for them and can help you get what you need without having to dig around or hope you are getting the right stuff.

That being said, ceramic pads CAN be used with regular stock replacement rotors, but it isn't the best option for these trucks. I personally recommend cross drilled and slotted performance rotors and ceramic pads. I have tested the R1Concepts rotors and pads on several trucks and have never had issues, and they last.

As for getting them on Ebay, check them out and check me out and let me know what you think. I can get them just as cheap for you while also offering direct customer service assistance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast answer.

I Can't afford to change all the rotors and pads at once right now.
Plus rotors are still good.
I need front pads before the end of the month.
And I wishes I can't find some that are more efficient than OEM pads until I change the whole set of rotor&pads.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To narrow things down a bit, whether in this post or in a private message, let me know what you budget will be. I can help you figure out exactly what you can get done according to your budget to get you the best "bang for your buck"...

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Let me put this this way :
How much would it cost for me to change my pads with regulare OEM style pads?
Then, how can I have better efficient pads for more or less the same price?

No need to say that when I'll find a job I'll have emough money to put something more serious on my 'hoe.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not find just the ceramic pads that are worth buying that are the same as your cheapest option. Your cheapest option for now is to go to the local Carquest or NAPA and get their store brand lifetime pads and put them on. If you go that route it is best to make sure to perform a break in procedure to properly seat the pads to the rotors.

Just so you have a ball park figure for upgrading the front and back with the upgraded rotors and pads together, the fronts set up would be approximately $150 and the rear just above that. Everything togther would be in the neighborhood of $325 or so. But you could feasibly get the pads replaced, if you didn't have them turned (machined), for about $50 total at most. I would however at least spend enough to get the old rotors turned just to make sure you have a good surface for the new pads.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
Quick question for the posters and clkelley... I have my original pads and rotors on my truck and have roughly 110K on my truck and I tow my trail truck around. Wouldn't make the most to go back to the factory pads and rotors, so I could get the same longevity?

What kind of upgrades would get me better reliability and longevity?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the posters and clkelley... I have my original pads and rotors on my truck and have roughly 110K on my truck and I tow my trail truck around. Wouldn't make the most to go back to the factory pads and rotors, so I could get the same longevity?

What kind of upgrades would get me better reliability and longevity?

If you upgrade to the cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads from R1Concepts, you will have improved breaking performance as well as much greater longevity. I am actually impressed that your original brakes lasted 110K miles. But if you can make the stock stuff last that long, then if you upgrade to the R1 products, you may never change them again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881