Where to find good heim joint tie rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I diddnt know if anyone knew where to find a decently priced (not 800$) set of heim joint tie rods for a 07-13 tahoe/silverado
I need to do lower ball joints on my truck and was going to upgrade the tie rods while I was at it but I’m having a hard time finding the set I found last year. I swore I found a set around 300-400$ but I don’t remember the company name

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i couldnt find a tapered pin that would work, required drilling out knuckle to 5/8. on steel/nodular iron i wouldnt worry about it, but i prob wouldnt do it to an aluminum one

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score

i couldnt find a tapered pin that would work, required drilling out knuckle to 5/8. on steel/nodular iron i wouldnt worry about it, but i prob wouldnt do it to an aluminum one
I went ahead and ordered them bud I appreciate the help!
Inner tie rods seemed fine for right now I’ll get sleeves and new inners later
Ordered some kryptonite lower ball joints also but the death wobble shake I’ve been experiencing I believe ended up being the driver side uca bushing I found that out this evening when I was messing with it checking the other stuff so I got new bushings coming as well. Only thing left to get is the locking cam plates and I might just rob them off the Tahoe for the time being.
I just pulled the coil overs off it today and snapped a bolt off in the bottom mount so I gotta take it by the machine shop tomorrow to get it out and retap it before I put them on the Silverado

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered them bud I appreciate the help!
Inner tie rods seemed fine for right now I’ll get sleeves and new inners later
Ordered some kryptonite lower ball joints also but the death wobble shake I’ve been experiencing I believe ended up being the driver side uca bushing I found that out this evening when I was messing with it checking the other stuff so I got new bushings coming as well. Only thing left to get is the locking cam plates and I might just rob them off the Tahoe for the time being.
I just pulled the coil overs off it today and snapped a bolt off in the bottom mount so I gotta take it by the machine shop tomorrow to get it out and retap it before I put them on the Silverado
The angles(from rack to knuckle) were still pretty bad on mine. It could be aligned but I wanted to get them as flat/neutral as i could. that's why I used longer bolts and spacer, went as far as i could and not get close to inside wheel.
I think I got whatever else I needed from McMaster carr....I grabbed some different alignment spacers for the heims, don't quite remember why (bottom is longer than top if you look at my pictures) may have just been because I didn't want to stack spacers and wanted the extra 1/4in or so
Nevermind after going back and reading why- i actually bought smaller ones for the top side to get more clearance from inside wheel barrel, long one just reduced clearance to inside wheel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
The angles(from rack to knuckle) were still pretty bad on mine. It could be aligned but I wanted to get them as flat/neutral as i could. that's why I used longer bolts and spacer, went as far as i could and not get close to inside wheel.
I think I got whatever else I needed from McMaster carr....I grabbed some different alignment spacers for the heims, don't quite remember why (bottom is longer than top if you look at my pictures) may have just been because I didn't want to stack spacers and wanted the extra 1/4in or so
Nevermind after going back and reading why- i actually bought smaller ones for the top side to get more clearance from inside wheel barrel, long one just reduced clearance to inside wheel
Ok so I shouldn’t need a longer spacer on the bottom of the heim to get a decent angle then right? My angles aren’t terrible anyways I just wanted to beef the steering up some. While i had it apart.
You ever seen those icon delta joint uniball retrofit kits? It’s a uniball that’s enclosed on the top half with a grease fitting unlike my normal Heims that stay exposed.
I also seen somewhere on Amazon I think they had some heim joint “boots” to help keep the debris out the tie rods

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I usually don’t have any smaller then 24’s on the truck so wheel clearance shouldn’t be a issue if I do have to run stocks or smaller wheels then I’ll put the 2” spacers on to clear the uca and tie rods

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I shouldn’t need a longer spacer on the bottom of the heim to get a decent angle then right? My angles aren’t terrible anyways I just wanted to beef the steering up some. While i had it apart.
You ever seen those icon delta joint uniball retrofit kits? It’s a uniball that’s enclosed on the top half with a grease fitting unlike my normal Heims that stay exposed.
I also seen somewhere on Amazon I think they had some heim joint “boots” to help keep the debris out the tie rods
dunno
as they came, they didnt change the angle very much from a stock tie rod end iirc
I did buy some of the boots, but without the installation tool i dont see how i would get them on. they need to stretch wayyy out. ill try and find part no for them i think i grabbed on amazon or something tho

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
dunno
as they came, they didnt change the angle very much from a stock tie rod end iirc
I did buy some of the boots, but without the installation tool i dont see how i would get them on. they need to stretch wayyy out. ill try and find part no for them i think i grabbed on amazon or something tho

What inner tie rods did you end up running?
I was looking at these and I was going to get my buddy to make me some billet sleeves to go over them

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What inner tie rods did you end up running?
I was looking at these and I was going to get my buddy to make me some billet sleeves to go over them
mine are just whatever stock on there, i dont think ive ever changed them. theyve never given me a reason to think there was something wrong with them

i did grab some of the support sleeves but never got around to putting them on, i think they replace the jam nut basically, but an upgraded inner shaft would probably be better
c322b707c66%2Fg%2Fm%2Fgm-tie-rod-sleeves_1144-base.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz