Wheel project: Black or color-match?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the wheel you have now and sell those.

The declads? I already sold the RST 22s to my neighbor. He had a new/used, but matching tire mounted on the repaired one. It balanced perfectly fine and is holding air just fine.

I'm definitely keeping the declads. I have plans to paint em after I get the "new" 22s on.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress! A local tire shop wanted over $77 to remove and dispose of the trashed tires that came on the wheels. Walmart would've been about the same price. Pep Boys wanted nothing more than my appreciation, so they got the job. I slipped the tech a 20, though. Being a former tire guy myself, I had an honest appreciation for his services. He knocked 'em out in ten minutes, too.

I handled it between service calls, so they're in my work van:

IMG_5936.JPG

An unexpected surprise. Can these be tested with no pressure on them?:

IMG_5935.JPG

Scored almost new (3,000 miles) tires for them in the oddball size I specifically wanted for $380:

IMG_5952.JPG

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My thoughts as well. I wanted black to contrast, just like the grille, but then decided to make them match. So, I should make them MATCH. Although, I'm thinking of making the hoops behind the spokes gloss black. That'd save on the expensive paint, give a little contrast and might make the centers look larger if that step in the center of the hoops were less noticeable being black.

I'm curious how this would look...DO IT.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much consideration, I believe I will paint the whole thing, including the milled edges. This would fit the overall scheme better and it'd be easier than trying to mask off those areas. So, body colored spokes and outer lip, gloss black hoop behind the spokes. That gloss black would soon get dirty and mostly stay dirty, so it'd be "hidden" anyway. I just gotta determine where the black will start in the hoop. It'll probably be at the step to have a dividing point that makes sense.

First is to build a rig to spin the wheels so I can "machine" them. Bolting them to the axle and running it in gear isn't so enjoyable any more since I don't have cats.

briqsay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yesterday, I ended up with a set of these 22x9.5 Verde V24 Invictus wheels. I mounted and spun each of them on the front to check for bends and looked 'em over as close as I could for cracks, etc. All looked well so I brought 'em home. They need some minor reconditioning which will include paint. I had planned on gloss black with whatever wheels I got. But, these, being a matte gray, are close enough to my Tahoe's Graystone Metallic to get me thinking.

Here they are mocked up. I positioned them to hide the spokes of the de-clads:

View attachment 278427

View attachment 278428

View attachment 278429

The "concave-ness" doesn't show as much in the pic, but the spokes angle inward a decent amount, which I like. The other point of this pic is to show the milled edges of the spokes:

View attachment 278430

These wheels are available in gloss black and they look good. But, the more I look at these pics, the more I'm thinking I wanna paint 'em Graystone. I'll keep the milled edges, though. Other considerations are painting the hoops black, maybe all the way to the lips. Also, since the lips will be getting some "machining" to fix some mild rash, they'll look like the milled edges. Do I leave them machined or paint 'em? I have plenty of time to ponder this. First step is to get the junk tires off.

20200515_145836_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts