Wheel project: Black or color-match?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like them as they are but if you paint them, def go greystone

Agreed.

I have stared at the pics for some time and think either color match the greystone or go to a matte black that matches the color of the running board black.

The running boards should be glossier. They're just dirty and I'm too trashy to care at the moment. I wanna clean 'em and put that stuff on there that another member used recently that makes the black look new, but I can't think of the product.

He probably did a 3rd gear burn out right before putting them up for sale!

Possibly! After all, his truck was in the shop getting a new trans...

Hi
You could go a flat/matte metallic of your body colour that would compliment both your colour scheme and the black addition present and pending?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Indeed. I'm considering testing this- body color with no gloss clear coat versus regular high-gloss.

Probably rides rough and tires that fit will be xtra expensive and you won’t know for sure until it comes time to mount and balance the tires on them. Then fitment in that wheel well and turning what kind of offset are they and are you going to scrape? Lots of unknowns and risk cost.

Not really any unknowns, actually. I'm well aware of what I'm getting in to. I'm counting on them to ride rougher than my 20s. I had 22s with Bridgestone (AKA "Brickstone") Duelers. Factory wheel and tire package from a 2019 Tahoe RST. They were harsh, but tolerable. Good tires (such as Michelin LTX) ride nicely for the size. Yes, bought new, the tires would be pretty expensive, but I'm a deal hound. I've already calculated the fitment with my drop and the 22s I had on it since the day I dropped it. I have very minimal rubbing issues and can easily fix them. But they're so minimal that I haven't bothered. 285/45-22 is the standard factory replacement size for the 20" options. If it was acceptable on a vehicle from the factory, then it's good enough for me. For being lowered and with plans to go a little lower, I want a slightly smaller and narrower tire, so I'm wanting a 275/45-22. It turns out that this is a factory size on a few new vehicles. I have a lead on a set of Pirelli Scorpions off a 2021 F150 with 2,980 miles on them. If all goes to plan, I'll get the whole set for less than the cost of one new tire.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d CM them with clear over the top, just like the body. Or go black. Otherwise it will look like you tried and failed with no clear. I did a set of headlights with no clear coat and the color looked so much different it was crazy, I decided to clear them and they looked right. I feel it would be the same with the wheels. Either the same exact as the body or something contrasting.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Agreed.

The running boards should be glossier. They're just dirty and I'm too trashy to care at the moment. I wanna clean 'em and put that stuff on there that another member used recently that makes the black look new, but I can't think of the product.

Possibly! After all, his truck was in the shop getting a new trans...

Indeed. I'm considering testing this- body color with no gloss clear coat versus regular high-gloss.

Not really any unknowns, actually. I'm well aware of what I'm getting in to. I'm counting on them to ride rougher than my 20s. I had 22s with Bridgestone (AKA "Brickstone") Duelers. Factory wheel and tire package from a 2019 Tahoe RST. They were harsh, but tolerable. Good tires (such as Michelin LTX) ride nicely for the size. Yes, bought new, the tires would be pretty expensive, but I'm a deal hound. I've already calculated the fitment with my drop and the 22s I had on it since the day I dropped it. I have very minimal rubbing issues and can easily fix them. But they're so minimal that I haven't bothered. 285/45-22 is the standard factory replacement size for the 20" options. If it was acceptable on a vehicle from the factory, then it's good enough for me. For being lowered and with plans to go a little lower, I want a slightly smaller and narrower tire, so I'm wanting a 275/45-22. It turns out that this is a factory size on a few new vehicles. I have a lead on a set of Pirelli Scorpions off a 2021 F150 with 2,980 miles on them. If all goes to plan, I'll get the whole set for less than the cost of one new tire.

It sounds like you already have things figured out with the tire size. It also sounds like you already have a deal lined up on some tires.

I was just going to add that I was running 285/40/22s on my Burb when it was 4/6 dropped with almost zero rubbing.

The 275/45 is slightly taller at .7" overall height, .4" sidewall, than the 285/40 but also narrower by .4".

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d CM them with clear over the top, just like the body. Or go black. Otherwise it will look like you tried and failed with no clear. I did a set of headlights with no clear coat and the color looked so much different it was crazy, I decided to clear them and they looked right. I feel it would be the same with the wheels. Either the same exact as the body or something contrasting.

My thoughts as well. I wanted black to contrast, just like the grille, but then decided to make them match. So, I should make them MATCH. Although, I'm thinking of making the hoops behind the spokes gloss black. That'd save on the expensive paint, give a little contrast and might make the centers look larger if that step in the center of the hoops were less noticeable being black.

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean if they were Graystone and gloss to match the body? I'm thinking the current color looks like I'm trying to CM but failed. I wonder if they'd look the same if I sprayed 'em Graystone, but used a matte clearcoat.

Certain designs designed for specific colors. For example, my new rims would look suck if they would be black, or polished metal but the mix works just right.
Wheels you got, have specific style and color serves them right. If you want another color I would change the wheels.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you already have things figured out with the tire size. It also sounds like you already have a deal lined up on some tires.

I was just going to add that I was running 285/40/22s on my Burb when it was 4/6 dropped with almost zero rubbing.

The 275/45 is slightly taller at .7" overall height, .4" sidewall, than the 285/40 but also narrower by .4".

I'm grasping at tiny straws with the tires size change. But, most 285/45-22 I find around here are cheap brands or Brickstones that were taken off in favor of better-riding tires. The 275/45-22 Pirellis seem to be on-par with the ride quality of the Michelins. They cost about the same new, so they're a deal no matter what. I'll be doing some clearancing cuz I aim to have no or almost no rubbing with my desired drop on a nearly-stock-size tire. The 275/45-22 is only .2" shorter than the stock 275/55-20- a mere .6% difference.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain designs designed for specific colors. For example, my new rims would look suck if they would be black, or polished metal but the mix works just right.
Wheels you got, have specific style and color serves them right. If you want another color I would change the wheels.

Nah, they'll be gray. I like the design and I already know they'll good in that color. Gray it is, final answer.

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are okay them to look "painted", why not. they will look newer I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent