Wheel compatibility between 2021 and previous generation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dogged

Reaction score
I'm hoping to pick up my Denali on order in a few weeks (after being in the system for almost 4 months!). I'm not a fan of chrome wheels and it comes with the 22" wheels. I'd like to have a replacement set ready for when it comes in with possibly 20" wheels and larger tires (305s?). Does anyone know yet if the older wheels work on the 2021 so I can assume backspacing etc will be ok with current tire dealer recommendations?

I have an 2018 with 22s and 305 Ridge Grapplers that looks nice. I'd like to replicate this on the new one with some gunmetal wheels.

Bonus question of if anyone has put larger tires on and at what point does it need to be leveled to accommodate that particular size.

Thanks

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
285/50r22 on 22” +24 offset. No level. Had one ready to install but did not need it.

View attachment 259899
Looks nice. The 285s are a little bit bigger than the 275/50s that are stock on the Denali. I'd love to put 305s without any mods like my 2018 if anyone has gone bigger yet.

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
I tried mounting up my wife's wheels today just for a test. As Tricky1 noted the calipers on the '21 are much thicker and will hit the 2018's wheel. It probably would need at least 1/2"-3/4" of a spacer to use those wheels. Her 305s probably would have cleared or at least with the heat gun mod on the wheel liner trick. They do not hit any suspension hard parts like the 2018's sway bar.

The 305s did not stick out of the wheel well much more than stock and would probably be ok. They look soooo much better than the stock tires.

I'm still on the fence of whether I like the stock wheels or not, so I may wait to pull any trigger. I hate just basically throwing brand new tires away. Hopefully some others will post up more options as time goes on and we can learn what will work or not.

2020-10-25 14.51.51.jpg

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried mounting up my wife's wheels today just for a test. As Tricky1 noted the calipers on the '21 are much thicker and will hit the 2018's wheel. It probably would need at least 1/2"-3/4" of a spacer to use those wheels. Her 305s probably would have cleared or at least with the heat gun mod on the wheel liner trick. They do not hit any suspension hard parts like the 2018's sway bar.

The 305s did not stick out of the wheel well much more than stock and would probably be ok. They look soooo much better than the stock tires.

I'm still on the fence of whether I like the stock wheels or not, so I may wait to pull any trigger. I hate just basically throwing brand new tires away. Hopefully some others will post up more options as time goes on and we can learn what will work or not.

View attachment 260925
Does this have 2” level in the front? Looks high?... or is it just up in the jack?

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
Does this have 2” level in the front? Looks high?... or is it just up in the jack?
It's still on the jack in the photo. The wheel was touching the caliper and I didn't want to tighten the lugs and scratch the zinc plating.

Paul Frandsen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
285/50r22 on 22” +24 offset. No level. Had one ready to install but did not need it.

View attachment 259899

Looks fantastic! I just added 285/50r22 Grapplers to my 2021 Suburban. I am waiting on black trim and rails for the build to be complete, but I am wondering what the ride quality has been for you and what tire pressure you are running? The ride quality has definitely been worse than the stock Alenzas. I've wondered if that will improve as the sidewalls soften? I have been running 36 PSI as rest and they hit 43 hot when at 90mph on the freeway. The tires cause the vehicle to float and bounce over bumps in the freeway and the car dives into the corners.

Thanks! I do absolutely love the look of the these tires. I have stock mudguards and when I back up with the wheels turned completely, I do rub slightly on the plastic...

Thanks!

Paul

IMG_4557.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu