Wheel compatibility between 2021 and previous generation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
Looks fantastic! I just added 285/50r22 Grapplers to my 2021 Suburban. I am waiting on black trim and rails for the build to be complete, but I am wondering what the ride quality has been for you and what tire pressure you are running? The ride quality has definitely been worse than the stock Alenzas. I've wondered if that will improve as the sidewalls soften? I have been running 36 PSI as rest and they hit 43 hot when at 90mph on the freeway. The tires cause the vehicle to float and bounce over bumps in the freeway and the car dives into the corners.

Thanks! I do absolutely love the look of the these tires. I have stock mudguards and when I back up with the wheels turned completely, I do rub slightly on the plastic...

Thanks!

Paul

View attachment 260965
Do your mudguards make the available wheel space smaller than just the mudguard? It would appear so by the photos.

BTW, my Ridge Grapplers on my '18 ride great. If firmness is your issue, then drop it to 34 and try it. Unfortunately, sidewalls on tires don't change their characteristics over time, so air pressure is your main control. I think they do make different load ratings in them. It's possible you got the max load rating. You might be able to swap them out since they are so new. Best of luck and the truck looks great.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! I just added 285/50r22 Grapplers to my 2021 Suburban. I am waiting on black trim and rails for the build to be complete, but I am wondering what the ride quality has been for you and what tire pressure you are running? The ride quality has definitely been worse than the stock Alenzas. I've wondered if that will improve as the sidewalls soften? I have been running 36 PSI as rest and they hit 43 hot when at 90mph on the freeway. The tires cause the vehicle to float and bounce over bumps in the freeway and the car dives into the corners.

Thanks! I do absolutely love the look of the these tires. I have stock mudguards and when I back up with the wheels turned completely, I do rub slightly on the plastic...

Thanks!

Paul

View attachment 260965

Looks good! No doubt the ride is a bit rougher than the Alenzas, but I am used to it. Have run these tiers on my last 2 vehicles. Its to be expected with a more aggressive tire and the 22's. I run mine at 40psi and have gotten over 60K miles on last 2 sets. I have not ever had any issues with mine floating or bouncing, that seems odd to me.

I think I am going to add a 1" front level to mine to get of the rake.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 285/50/22 ridge grappler is a load range e tire, where as the 285/45 or 305/45 are load range xl. The xl’s will ride better, but do have much less tread depth. Also, the xl tires weight quite a bit less than the load range e tires (like 15 ish pounds, which is a huge difference).

Also, Dogged, the 285/50’s are a bigger/taller tire than the 305’s, so I would assume if they are running the 285’s then you will probably be good with the 305’s.

Last edited:

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 285/50/22 ridge grappler is a load range e tire, where as the 285/45 or 305/45 are load range xl. The xl’s will ride better, but do have much less tread depth. Also, the xl tires weight quite a bit less than the load range e tires (like 15 ish pounds, which is a huge difference).

Also, Dogged, the 285/50’s are a bigger/taller tire than the 305’s, so I would assume if they are running the 285’s then you will probably be good with the 305’s.

Agree with olyler. The 285/50 is a taller tire and deeper lugs. What I will say is the Nitto Ridge Grappler is actually more like a 12" wide tire once mounted vs. some other 285's.

Swatdoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking at some Replica Wheels in the 22x9 size. It lists them as a 28 offset. Does anyone know for sure if these will clear the calipers. I do NOT want to have to run spacers

Thanks

OP
OP
Dogged

Dogged

Reaction score
I have successfully mounted Nitto RG 305 45 22s with no issues and they look and ride great.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the old body style wheels won't work on the 21+ because of the brake calipers. I don't know which ones will and won't though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz