Wheel balance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chicagolakefront

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 SLT that has the 22” wheels. The dealer installed new tires, which I thought was great then after a little closer inspection I noticed these horrid balance weights. Is this the norm? I had C6 vette with very deep star rims and I don’t ever remember seeing the balance weights. Should I take it back to dealer and have them fix?

C38BE5B8-B473-462F-87E0-32EFC2AC0AD0.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks normal to me unless there is a way to attach the weights to the inner part of wheel I am unaware of. They don't want to show on the outside. There may be special weights that attach at the inner lip but again I am unaware of them. You only see these when parked and is the balance smooth?

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks normal to me unless there is a way to attach the weights to the inner part of wheel I am unaware of. They don't want to show on the outside. There may be special weights that attach at the inner lip but again I am unaware of them. You only see these when parked and is the balance smooth?

I think he means for them to be so close to the outer lip where they are visible. Ive never had a shop place stick on weights that close to the spokes where they are visible, I have always seen them closer to the center of the wheel out of sight.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
That’s where they are on my wife’s 22” KMC Slides that she got mounted and balanced from Discount Tire.

Interestingly, I’ve never noticed them on my 17” American Racing 901’s that I got mounted and balanced from Tire Rack. I’ll be checking tomorrow.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There are two ways to balance tires. Static and dynamic. With a static balance they place the weights in the center of the rim and don’t take into account for the location of the imbalance. With a dynamic imbalance the machine calculates the location of the imbalance more precisely and requests weight be added in two spots on the wheel. What you see is normal practice and good for 9” wide wheels like yours. There is more info here:
https://www.derekweaver.com/learn/wheel-balancer/

OP
OP
C

Chicagolakefront

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think he means for them to be so close to the outer lip where they are visible. Ive never had a shop place stick on weights that close to the spokes where they are visible, I have always seen them closer to the center of the wheel out of sight.
Yes, they kinda stick out like a sore thumb, not very appealing.

OP
OP
C

Chicagolakefront

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are two ways to balance tires. Static and dynamic. With a static balance they place the weights in the center of the rim and don’t take into account for the location of the imbalance. With a dynamic imbalance the machine calculates the location of the imbalance more precisely and requests weight be added in two spots on the wheel. What you see is normal practice and good for 9” wide wheels like yours. There is more info here:
https://www.derekweaver.com/learn/wheel-balancer/
Thanks I’ll check that out

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I guess I will ask the question again to the OP. Is the balance smooth? I frankly would not care where the weights are put behind the spokes as long as the balance is smooth. Like I said, you cannot see them when driving. It may bug you because you know they are there but I prefer function over form. But that is me. It is your vehicle after all.

By the way, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

OP
OP
C

Chicagolakefront

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I will ask the question again to the OP. Is the balance smooth? I frankly would not care where the weights are put behind the spokes as long as the balance is smooth. Like I said, you cannot see them when driving. It may bug you because you know they are there but I prefer function over form. But that is me. It is your vehicle after all.

By the way, welcome to the forum from Oregon.
Thanks for the welcome! Happy New Year! The ride seems smooth, the tires are bf Goodrich. I have never had BF before on a truck. Maybe I’ll paint the inner wheel and weights black so the are less noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt