Wheel balance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine done with the mobile tire service from tirerack. Came right to the house. I watched him do all my tires and when he balanced them the computer noted where to place the weight on the inside of the rim with a laser dot. Some were closer to the inside and some near the front where visible. Doesn’t matter to me as long as they are properly balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am only asking because I don't know or remember. Does lead oxidize?
Yes, to a point. It goes from shiny to a more dark grey which I understood as oxidation. I think it’s like how cast iron turns that dark brown and then the oxidation slows way down. I am not a metallurgist tho so take me with a grain of salt on this.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, to a point. It goes from shiny to a more dark grey which I understood as oxidation. I think it’s like how cast iron turns that dark brown and then the oxidation slows way down. I am not a metallurgist tho so take me with a grain of salt on this.
Between getting a thin layer of lead oxide and road grime, they will get a darker gray.

Wheel weights are one of those necessary evils. They don’t look the greatest, but they have come along way in putting lip stick on that pig.

As others have said, they are only noticeable when the vehicle is sitting still and most people won’t even notice as they are walking by so I wouldn’t get too concerned about it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of truck, please.

As others have already said, a good balance is the most important end result. Everything else is just window dressing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW, the 22's on my '19 have quite a few weights near the outside like that -- was like this from the factory. Not my preference either, but as many have said, as long as they are well balanced, that's what is important.

LRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres my .02......to me thats too many weights. I would take it back and ask for a road force balance. Ive been getting road force balance for several years now and since then, it has cut down on the amount of weights used to balance the wheel. Its really better for everyone, it saves materials for the tire shop, and less weights hanging on your rim to balance. The key with road force balance is matching the high point of the tire with the low point on the rim. Thats done first, and after that very little weight is used to finish the balance. That tire needs to be rotated on the rim to find the sweet spot and a hunter road force balancer can do that.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had mine done with the mobile tire service from tirerack. Came right to the house. I watched him do all my tires and when he balanced them the computer noted where to place the weight on the inside of the rim with a laser dot. Some were closer to the inside and some near the front where visible. Doesn’t matter to me as long as they are properly balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You like that road service for tire Rack? I was thinking about that myself.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the past, when i see excessive amounts of weights, i have always requested that the tire is to spun to aid in correcting.

generally the tire has a seam ( visible by colored dot), and is to align with the valve stem hole in the wheel...this helps offset the imbalance.

tire brand plays a huge roll in amount of weight needed also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts