What year is best if money is an object

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alec, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Alec

Alec TYF Newbie

Name:
    Alec
    Greetings-

First got on here to find out if a 2000 stripped down police Tahoe would be a good idea a few years ago. As a proof of concept, the Tahoe has been perfect for what I need - periodic towing, some rough 4WD, and comfort for my 6' 4" frame. Now I am looking for a newer ride with the 5.3 L engine (mine has the 4.8), power windows, power mirrors, etc. I understand after 2007 there's a 5 speed trans, and after 2009 a 6. Is it worth going with 2009+ for the six? Any years shine brighter than others? Looking to spend $10-15K.

Thanks! Alec

Thebesta94 likes this.
  2. 07Burb

07Burb GM fan for life Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Name:
    Jacob
    For that price range you're probably looking at somewhere in the 2007 to 2010 (or 2011) year range if you're looking for clean and lowish miles. Some people won't even consider the 07 or 08 because of being the first years of the body style and only having the 4 speed. I've had my 07 for over 8 1/2 years and have been super happy with it! I bought it with 106k on the clock and it now has 210k and she's running as good as ever at this point in time. I would focus on finding one that is good with miles, been well taken care of and the most bang for your buck.

3. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    The AFM becomes something to pay attention to in this year range also.

89Suburban, swathdiver and 07Burb like this.
  4. 07Burb

07Burb GM fan for life Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Name:
    Jacob
    Definitely. I had an AFM lifter fail on me at 135k. That's been our only major problem with ours. At that time, i had all of the lifters replaced and had AFM tuned out via a BlackBear Tune. Regardless of what year you get you'll want to disable AFM one way or another.

89Suburban, Sam Harris and yukonxlv like this.
  5. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Name:
    Kraig
    A 5 speed transmission? Automatic, and from the factory? Tell me more!

6. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    4 speed on the tahoe, suburban, yukon, yukon xl. 6 speed on the escalade and denali
    unless someone ordered one specifically with 6 speed otherwise no 5 speed

7. adventurenali92

adventurenali92 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    Yeah to my knowledge there isn’t a 5 speed in the gm full sizes. 4 speed or 6 speed depending on the year and package suv. I wish my 2006 had a 6 speed. That would be badass.

HiHoeSilver likes this.
  8. KATfishing

KATfishing Full Access Member

Name:
    Kevin
    I didn't think it would be anything I cared much about, but the 6-speed in my '08 Denali is something I've really appreciated. My previous vehicle was an '05 Trailblazer, so it was a huge step up, but I can't compare to other Yukons/Tahoes/Escalades -- I've heard they're all pretty loved!

9. Thebesta94

Thebesta94 Member

Name:
    Nesta
    07 owner here!

I will admit... the 4 speed can be kind of annoying when towing on the heavier side... like really annoying. Especially when going thru hilly terrain. But other than that I dont even notice it half the time.

Otherwise, got the truck used, never had any big issues, still hasn't. Occasionally a small thing like hose or joints but if ur even slightly mechanically inclined it's not bad. But at the same time if ur buying that old, just know that some parts that are 12years old might need to be replaced.

89Suburban likes this.
  10. 14rcsbOH

14rcsbOH Full Access Member

Name:
    Kenny
    Id just get a nbs...

Sam Harris and HiHoeSilver like this.