What should i do about oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Before you spend that kind of money what you should really do is power wash the underside so you get it clean. And then go through meticulously and tighten up all the oil pan bolts and valve cover bolts and then check your leak
I'm going to try this and see what happens. I did clean it real good previously to find out where the leak was but I didn't tighten anything. I'll let you know if it works.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
799.20 labor for rear main seal cover
378.00 for oil pan gasket labor
With parts and tax at carx the total would be 1759.48.
I'd have to call the dealer back Monday as I can't remember exactly. I know it was over 100$/ hr tho and 2200$ total
I don't think that the parts required for these jobs total even $100. The rest I guess is a lot of tax and shop supplies!

One thing about having the repair done at a dealer, it's warranted across the nation. Some shops like Napa offer similar warrantees.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
I don't think that the parts required for these jobs total even $100. The rest I guess is a lot of tax and shop supplies!

One thing about having the repair done at a dealer, it's warranted across the nation. Some shops like Napa offer similar warrantees.
There's nothing personal on it so I'll take a pic of quote. Price of parts is ridiculous though.

Attachments

• Car x quote.jpg
    Car x quote.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 15

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing personal on it so I'll take a pic of quote. Price of parts is ridiculous though.
While it is customary for shops to charge retail for gaskets, that is ridiculous. If they are that dishonest, I would not trust them to check the air in my tires.

These are the current prices at Amazon.com, delivered!

1627266019758.png

If yours were mine, I would crawl under there with a ratchet and socket and gently tighten the oil pan bolts and poke around for any other loose bolts and such looking for leaks, especially around the engine oil cooler lines as they were leaking on mine at the gasket above the oil filter. We eventually replaced the lines as they were plumb wore out. If my teenage daughters can do this work, you can too. Then buy yourself a new pistol or take your wife away for the weekend with all the money you saved!

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
While it is customary for shops to charge retail for gaskets, that is ridiculous. If they are that dishonest, I would not trust them to check the air in my tires.

These are the current prices at Amazon.com, delivered!

View attachment 345849

If yours were mine, I would crawl under there with a ratchet and socket and gently tighten the oil pan bolts and poke around for any other loose bolts and such looking for leaks, especially around the engine oil cooler lines as they were leaking on mine at the gasket above the oil filter. We eventually replaced the lines as they were plumb wore out. If my teenage daughters can do this work, you can too. Then buy yourself a new pistol or take your wife away for the weekend with all the money you saved!
I forgot to check for the cooler lines when I was out there earlier but I'll look around there in the morning. I'll hopefully find a shop that will treat me right and have some honest prices.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pan leak may just be loose bolts. You have a aluminum oil pan so you can tighten them yourselves would be very careful on the amount of torque. The rear main seal is a real bear to change if it’s leaking. It’s a common problem.

Who diagnosed the rear main? You might have oil coming from other places that seems like it might be the rear main like valve covers or oil pressure sender.

x2 on both of these replies. That’s a whole lot of oil to be ******* out in that short amount of time

-What brand and weight oil are you currently running?

-Have you replaced the drivers side valve cover with the updated one per the TSB (10-06-01-008F)?

-If so, have you rechecked the torque specs on your valve cover? Did you oil the gasket prior to install, if so, good initiative bad judgement - the valve cover gaskets need to be clean and dry, same goes for their mating surfaces.

-Do you have a catch can installed?

-What’s the vehicle info (year make, model, mileage)? You didn’t have any info on your page and forgot to mention it in your initial post.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
x2 on both of these replies. That’s a whole lot of oil to be ******* out in that short amount of time

-What brand and weight oil are you currently running?

-Have you replaced the drivers side valve cover with the updated one per the TSB (10-06-01-008F)?

-If so, have you rechecked the torque specs on your valve cover? Did you oil the gasket prior to install, if so, good initiative bad judgement - the valve cover gaskets need to be clean and dry, same goes for their mating surfaces.

-Do you have a catch can installed?

-What’s the vehicle info (year make, model, mileage)? You didn’t have any info on your page and forgot to mention it in your initial post.
It's more like between 1 and 2 quarts of oil. It depends on how hard I drive her. If I don't drive her much I may put in a quart every 2 to 3 weeks.
I'm using 5w30 oil.

I have not added a catch can but I did order one last week after reading through a few threads.
I read about the updated valve cover a few days ago but I have not done that yet. I'll order one and add that to the growing list of things to repair. It looks like an easy job that I can complete when I replace my plugs, wires and coils since I've never changed them.

07 Tahoe LTZ 4wd, I'm at 232,000 miles. I haven't had to many problems out of her until now and now everything is breaking. At this mileage I guess I am due for it.