What should i do about oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahunn

Reaction score
07 Tahoe 4wd and rear main seal is leaking and oil pan. Depending on my driving habits I'm adding two quarts every two weeks.
My dilemma is I can get it repaired at dealer for 2100$ which I think is expensive. Is it? Carx quoted me 1700$ depending on how hard the oil pan is to get to after removing Trans. If not that hard it would be cheaper.
I'm leaning towards carx due to the cheaper price but who would you guys trust with the repairs?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. You should already have a favorite/trusted/knowledgeable shop to go to if you cannot do it yourself.

2. What are you getting for your money at those prices? Quality of parts to be used? Tech that does the work ASE Certified? Shop reputation? Warranty?

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
1. Last guy I went to when I had things I couldn't do retired as he is now 72 years old. Nowadays I go to a shop like carx if I can't do something, but this is major compared to other things.
2. I was thinking I'd get more for my money at the dealer and I imagine a warranty which I'll confirm when they call me back shortly. Carx is nationwide as far as I know and I'd say reputable but idk. I'm leaning towards the chevy dealer. I've gotta go for a recall soon anyway.

Has anyone else had any major work done at a place like CarX?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Last guy I went to when I had things I couldn't do retired as he is now 72 years old. Nowadays I go to a shop like carx if I can't do something, but this is major compared to other things.
2. I was thinking I'd get more for my money at the dealer and I imagine a warranty which I'll confirm when they call me back shortly. Carx is nationwide as far as I know and I'd say reputable but idk. I'm leaning towards the chevy dealer. I've gotta go for a recall soon anyway.

Has anyone else had any major work done at a place like CarX?
CarX is a franchise operation and so the quality of your result will still come down to who owns the shop you choose.

If I were you, I would research which local independent shops have the highest ratings and testimonials. Maybe look for a highly rated one that does a lot of GM work, look for big signs on the side of their building that says "ACDelco", etc.

Also, the only shop I would even consider better KNOW what is involved in the repairs you outlined, BEFORE they start. It isn't like those gaskets and seals aren't pretty regular items. If the guy says he will know what is involved after he gets in there, ah no.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @wsteele said. I have never been trusting of franchise shops. Lots of times those shops could not make a go on their own and sell to a franchise and still work the shop. If the quality was in the shop to begin with, they would have done fine by themselves. Plus, franchise shops usually have guidelines to follow that at times can lead to poor repairs.

A Quality Independent Shop is the way to go. Why not get a recommendation from the retired guy you trusted? Search those independents, like @wsteele said and look for the wall of certifications. Best ratings and testimonials help a lot. When you do find one you like and trust, STAY THERE!

But as has been said, no matter what shop you end up at, check the parts quality and the warranty as well.

Yes, like what @CaptainAmerica1 said, where are you, so we can recommend. I have a pair that own a shop here in Eugene that are top notch.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
What @wsteele said. I have never been trusting of franchise shops. Lots of times those shops could not make a go on their own and sell to a franchise and still work the shop. If the quality was in the shop to begin with, they would have done fine by themselves. Plus, franchise shops usually have guidelines to follow that at times can lead to poor repairs.

A Quality Independent Shop is the way to go. Why not get a recommendation from the retired guy you trusted? Search those independents, like @wsteele said and look for the wall of certifications. Best ratings and testimonials help a lot. When you do find one you like and trust, STAY THERE!

But as has been said, no matter what shop you end up at, check the parts quality and the warranty as well.

Yes, like what @CaptainAmerica1 said, where are you, so we can recommend. I have a pair that own a shop here in Eugene that are top notch.
I've made a few calls to all the shops that are at least 4 stars in Google that are near me. I started calling Thursday and I am still waiting on them to call me back.
If anyone has a recommendation nearby I would gladly take it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who diagnosed the rear main? You might have oil coming from other places that seems like it might be the rear main like valve covers or oil pressure sender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSurfer5300