What should i do about oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Tahoe 4wd and rear main seal is leaking and oil pan. Depending on my driving habits I'm adding two quarts every two weeks.
My dilemma is I can get it repaired at dealer for 2100$ which I think is expensive. Is it? Carx quoted me 1700$ depending on how hard the oil pan is to get to after removing Trans. If not that hard it would be cheaper.
I'm leaning towards carx due to the cheaper price but who would you guys trust with the repairs?
7.1 and 3.5

Shop time is 7.1 hours for the rear main plus parts and 3.5 hours for the oil pan gasket plus parts. So that's 10.6 hours, what are they charging per hour?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I would never use someone who quotes work “depending on how hard the oil pan is to get off” on an extremely common job like this.

Second, two quarts leaking in two weeks would be a massive leak. Your truck would be covered front to back in oil underneath and it would be dripping all over your driveway. I suspect most of your two quarts is probably being burned due to caked up piston rings in your AFM engine. So you’re likely to spend $2k fixing your leaks but not fixing your consumption.

If you like this truck and intend to keep it, your best option is a reman engine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I would never use someone who quotes work “depending on how hard the oil pan is to get off” on an extremely common job like this.

Second, two quarts leaking in two weeks would be a massive leak. Your truck would be covered front to back in oil underneath and it would be dripping all over your driveway. I suspect most of your two quarts is probably being burned due to caked up piston rings in your AFM engine. So you’re likely to spend $2k fixing your leaks but not fixing your consumption.

If you like this truck and intend to keep it, your best option is a reman engine.
I forgot to ask if he had engine oil cooler lines, they can certainly drop some oil if in need of replacement!

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
The oil pan leak may just be loose bolts. You have a aluminum oil pan so you can tighten them yourselves would be very careful on the amount of torque. The rear main seal is a real bear to change if it’s leaking. It’s a common problem.
I tried this first as it worked for my 01 Cadillac Seville STS but no luck this time.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Who diagnosed the rear main? You might have oil coming from other places that seems like it might be the rear main like valve covers or oil pressure sender.
I actually went to the dealership (McCluskey Chevrolet) to get it diagnosed.
backstory...I was driving down the highway and a construction sign fell over. I couldn't avoid it, ran over it, and it broke the skid plate plus drivers side fender liner. I wanted to make sure there was no more danger And so I took it to the dealership to find out what all was wrong. ((Edit) not that it caused it)They told me oil pain was the worst, rear main is leaking, and the valve covers have a very slight leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
7.1 and 3.5

Shop time is 7.1 hours for the rear main plus parts and 3.5 hours for the oil pan gasket plus parts. So that's 10.6 hours, what are they charging per hour?
799.20 labor for rear main seal cover
378.00 for oil pan gasket labor
With parts and tax at carx the total would be 1759.48.
I'd have to call the dealer back Monday as I can't remember exactly. I know it was over 100$/ hr tho and 2200$ total

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Or Valley Pan gasket. :confused:
I had to research this as I'd never heard of it. I'm gonna head out shortly and check it out. How can I tell if its leaking there? I can recall cleaning my throttle body and seeing under the intakeand thinking it looks like something may have leaked a bit under there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972