What rear hatch glass will fit a 2002 Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fanstic information...i copied this info and will keep it with me while i search for the glass. Thank you adventurenali92.

I swapped to an Escalade rear hatch and third tail light on my Yukon Denali. Had the original 2006 Yukon hatch on it with the black plastic trim piece. Swapped to an Escalade hatch from a 2004 so that the esky thrid tail light mod would be done properly with it being attached to the glass. The hinges started delaminating so I used heavy duty JB weld and that seemed to solve the delaminating issue for the entire time it was on my truck. But about two years later I scored an Escalade hatch off a 2005 with the newer style so I swapped it on and don’t have to worry about the hinge issue. So definitely keep in mind the delaminating issue is for a common problem with the pre-2005 hatches.

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
I swapped to an Escalade rear hatch and third tail light on my Yukon Denali. Had the original 2006 Yukon hatch on it with the black plastic trim piece. Swapped to an Escalade hatch from a 2004 so that the esky thrid tail light mod would be done properly with it being attached to the glass. The hinges started delaminating so I used heavy duty JB weld and that seemed to solve the delaminating issue for the entire time it was on my truck. But about two years later I scored an Escalade hatch off a 2005 with the newer style so I swapped it on and don’t have to worry about the hinge issue. So definitely keep in mind the delaminating issue is for a common problem with the pre-2005 hatches.
Great information! Thanks.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped a 2006 rear glass onto my 2001 after I found the glass delaminating at the top hinge area. I believe this glass was a mid 2005 upgrade, as I've seen it on SOME 2005's, and almost all 2006's have this glass.

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_230718844_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230815_230718844_HDR.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 7

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I swapped a 2006 rear glass onto my 2001 after I found the glass delaminating at the top hinge area. I believe this glass was a mid 2005 upgrade, as I've seen it on SOME 2005's, and almost all 2006's have this glass.

The earlier glass has the handle at the lower edge of the window, see pic below. What @ScottyBoy shows (newer glass) is interchangeable with the old style.

Capture.PNG

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she has full coverage insurance, just get it covered under the glass replacement. Just a deductible, and no effect to her insurance. Just make sure its not on the truck when the glass shop gets there to do the job.

Duct tape and a rock is really handy here..

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, when I switched my hatch glass to the 2006 style, pressing the release button no longer popped the hatch out. I also heard a whistling sound if I used the HVAC blower on full because the latch wasn't holding the glass tight enough against the seal. I added a 1/16" fender washer behind the two upper latch bolts and that solved the problem when switching rear glass.

No one else seems to have had this problem, but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
Just so you know, when I switched my hatch glass to the 2006 style, pressing the release button no longer popped the hatch out. I also heard a whistling sound if I used the HVAC blower on full because the latch wasn't holding the glass tight enough against the seal. I added a 1/16" fender washer behind the two upper latch bolts and that solved the problem when switching rear glass.

No one else seems to have had this problem, but I thought I'd let you know my experience.
Its a good tip to know...just in case :)

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she has full coverage insurance, just get it covered under the glass replacement. Just a deductible, and no effect to her insurance. Just make sure its not on the truck when the glass shop gets there to do the job.

Duct tape and a rock is really handy here..

While making a glass claim might not necessarily affect your rates, trust me that they DO keep track and they eventually hold it against you in the future. They keep track of the number of claims you make, regardless of whether or not it's your fault, whether it's just glass, or even if it's just towing or a jumpstart that's covered under you policy. They add up the total number of claims and factor that into your "insurance score". My insurance agent told me all this when I asked him why my rate practically doubled when I had my first accident. One accident in my whole life, period. And was over 40 when it happened, yet my rates doubled like I had a DWI or something. When I asked why, he said because I had 7 claims in less than 5 years. These 7 "claims" were actually a hail damage claim, five towing claims, and ONE actual accident claim. They DO hold every claim against you, trust me.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy is right. I lost a front drivers door window few years back to an overall sad road rage accident. and we had just switched to AAA for our actual coverage and an aperture roadside policing that we had for years. They wanted a $500 deductible and it would like future increase my rates they told me since they couldn’t get the other guys info to hold him responsible…. It ended up being cheaper and way faster for me to grab a replacement window out of a junkyard truck in good shape, and a new regulator from the parts store and I had it all fixed up perfectly for half the price and right away. Whereas insurance wouldn’t not have really helped. I lucked out in that all the Southern California yards and are pick and pull are jerky LKQ owned and always have GMT800 rigs in the yard often.

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
While making a glass claim might not necessarily affect your rates, trust me that they DO keep track and they eventually hold it against you in the future. They keep track of the number of claims you make, regardless of whether or not it's your fault, whether it's just glass, or even if it's just towing or a jumpstart that's covered under you policy. They add up the total number of claims and factor that into your "insurance score". My insurance agent told me all this when I asked him why my rate practically doubled when I had my first accident. One accident in my whole life, period. And was over 40 when it happened, yet my rates doubled like I had a DWI or something. When I asked why, he said because I had 7 claims in less than 5 years. These 7 "claims" were actually a hail damage claim, five towing claims, and ONE actual accident claim. They DO hold every claim against you, trust me.
Wow...thats crazy. If my rates doubled, i'd have to start walking everywhere....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan