What rear hatch glass will fit a 2002 Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonMike66

Reaction score
Theirs a lady at my work who also has a 2002 XL, same as mine, just a different color. Her hatch glass is separating from the hinge, which i am now finding out is fairly common. She got a quote of $700+ to fix it from a body shop. I told het to leave it closed for now and let me do some research. She is almost 70, approaching retirement ago and she doesn't have that kind of money. I've seen complete rear hatches with glass for $100 on CL or FB Marketplace...i just dont know which ones will fir her Yukon. I sold some old wheels i had for $150 so i think i will use that money to do this for her if i can figure out what wil work, then pick one up. I thought maybe other Yukons but i dont really know they year ranges...and possibly 2001 to 2006 Tahoes and maybe Escalades, but i really don't know. I saw a few posts on here where people talked about replacing their glass and mentioned they year they were going to use, but didnt list a range of years/makes/models. I may have missed it though. As usual, i'm looking for the assistance of all the guys n' gals on here who have done it or know what works and what doesnt. Thanks as always. Have a great day...or night (depending on when you read this) :)

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
According to LMC Truck, the rear liftgate glass is the same for 2000 to 2013: https://www.lmctruck.com/body-components/liftgate-cargo-door

I would have thought just years 2000 to 2006 but maybe not. Call LMC and they can help you.
LMC said that page refers to the liftgate glass and hatch "struts" being the same for those years, but not the glass itself. He said he didn't know for sure what glass would cross reference over to other years/makes/models. I mocked up a side by side comparison between a 2002 Yukon and a 2013 Tahoe and the glass looks like its shaped different...especially along the bottom where the Tahoe glass is totally flat and straight across....and the Yukon appears to be curved. So, i'm still searching for answers.rerar-hatch-comparrison.jpg

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear glass always confused me to what years had which glass. 2000-2006 had 2 different glass. One like your pic on the left, where bottom has handle and trim on the very bottom and one like this one with protruding handle and top is shaped different with a different trim piece around 3rd brake light . Hopefully someone will chime in that knows exactly which year or years had the below glass.IMG_0147.jpeg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear glass always confused me to what years had which glass. 2000-2006 had 2 different glass. One like your pic on the left, where bottom has handle and trim on the very bottom and one like this one with protruding handle and top is shaped different with a different trim piece around 3rd brake light . Hopefully someone will chime in that knows exactly which year or years had the below glass.View attachment 405892
This style is also less likely to spontaneously explode/shatter. I’ve been searching for one of this style from an escalade which has a different third brake light to put on. There appears to be some overlap because they switched in 2005 but might have been mid production as I’ve seen some 05 with the old style.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This style is also less likely to spontaneously explode/shatter. I’ve been searching for one of this style from an escalade which has a different third brake light to put on. There appears to be some overlap because they switched in 2005 but might have been mid production as I’ve seen some 05 with the old style.
Makes sense. Maybe mid-year change. I thought 05/06 they changed to these. My 05 has old style, so I was confused.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the glass size is different unless it comes with the piece up top for the 3rd brake light attached.
This is incorrect. The glass from all 2000-2006 Yukons and tahoes is identical in size to all the glass that was used on the 2002-2006 Escalade SUVs. The only difference in the glass pieces are that the Yukon/Tahoe glass has a small inward curve in the glass at the top, because the small third tail light mounts into the body of the truck in the liftgate “doorjam” area. Where as the Escalade glass does not share the same inward curve at the top of the glass because on the Escalade the third tail light is different and not mounted to the doorjam but to the top of the glass itself. However both types of glass will fit on any of the GMT800 SUVs, which is all 2000-2006 tahoes, suburbans, Yukons, Yukon XLs, and all 2002-2006 Escalades, and 2003-2006 Escalade ESVs.

To the OP, @YukonMike66 look for glass labeled 2000-2006 and anything labeled 2007 or newer is for the newer generation of SUVs, as they are different and will not fit a 2002 Yukon XL. If you can find the newer of the two glass styles that doesn’t have the rubber type border piece going around it, that would be ideal since the hinges for the lift supports are not prone to delaminating from the glass like on the older style hatches.

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
This is incorrect. The glass from all 2000-2006 Yukons and tahoes is identical in size to all the glass that was used on the 2002-2006 Escalade SUVs. The only difference in the glass pieces are that the Yukon/Tahoe glass has a small inward curve in the glass at the top, because the small third tail light mounts into the body of the truck in the liftgate “doorjam” area. Where as the Escalade glass does not share the same inward curve at the top of the glass because on the Escalade the third tail light is different and not mounted to the doorjam but to the top of the glass itself. However both types of glass will fit on any of the GMT800 SUVs, which is all 2000-2006 tahoes, suburbans, Yukons, Yukon XLs, and all 2002-2006 Escalades, and 2003-2006 Escalade ESVs.

To the OP, @YukonMike66 look for glass labeled 2000-2006 and anything labeled 2007 or newer is for the newer generation of SUVs, as they are different and will not fit a 2002 Yukon XL. If you can find the newer of the two glass styles that doesn’t have the rubber type border piece going around it, that would be ideal since the hinges for the lift supports are not prone to delaminating from the glass like on the older style hatches.
Fanstic information...i copied this info and will keep it with me while i search for the glass. Thank you adventurenali92.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar