What is this plate on my oil pan???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are vibrations in flat surfaces that lead to metal fatigue, in turn cause cracks to appear. Theory harks back to my aeronautical engineering study days. Change the mass, change the frequency out of danger range.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are vibrations in flat surfaces that lead to metal fatigue, in turn cause cracks to appear. Theory harks back to my aeronautical engineering study days. Change the mass, change the frequency out of danger range.
Yeah, I guarantee it has a purpose. It’s just that no GM engineer has let us know what it is.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I believe it has to do with something along these lines. The oil pan is a structural part of the block and that is a rather wide plane for cast aluminum to carry harmonic loads. Making that part of the pan thicker would've just changed the resonant frequency, maybe even making it more brittle. A simple plate adds strength, but, more importantly, it's bolted at various points so the plane is disrupted and waves are dispersed and absorbed. It's the same effect as how tiling sound absorption mats is as effective or more effective than just covering the entire panel.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Re the dash, Based on my experience in the corporate environment, it was GM accounting and procurement that bought cheaper resins after the engineering tested quality materials. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. Worse, they don’t give a damn as long as it lasts through the warranty period.

Efingee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am curious what this plate is on the oil pan of my 5.3L 2008 Suburban LTZ 2WD.

At first I thought it was some kind of inspection plate but from looking at pics of the inside of the oil pan it doesn't appear to have a hole behind it.

So is it some kind of "skid plate" or is it some kind of reinforcement for the cast aluminum pan? Or???

View attachment 76983

Just kinda curious if anyone knows.
Aluminum is non magnetic. It you live in a cold climate and want to connect a magnetic pan oil warmer then I assume the plate would serve just that purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401