What does everybody recommend for an indash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point. I know that car audio is a sickness for many, me included, and we often get buyers remorse by settling for less than we truly wanted. I'd definitely advise that before your buy a head unit, you find a local place and mess with them. You may find that the Sony has a terrible user interface, while a competitively priced Kenwood suits you much better.

You might as well buy what you want the first time, because settling for less will cost more in the end. IMO.

That's funny you say that, because I currently have a "competitively priced Kenwood".........and I hate it. The quality is good, the functionality is good, the looks are good, but the UI is absolute garbage.

I actually have the same belief as you too. I think it's most wise to buy what you really want the first time, but I also believe that you should first understand things realistically. I am also an audiophile (I got MECP certified just to do it. I don't work at a stereo shop or anything), but at the same time, I try to be realistic.

I choose to think about it this way: Would I like to have a 2013 Porche Cayenne Twin Turbo? Sure I would, but I'd rather spend half of that money on a Yukon, which can do everything the Cayenne can do, just as well.......Then, if the "Giddy Up" needs tending to, I've still got $40K to play with. The same thing goes for HU's as well. Figure out what SPECS you need, then get the cheapest HU that posesses the specs you desire.

Does that make any sense?

ChevyBoy206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
have poineer avic z110. love it! went back & forth between alpine, kenwood & pioneer. couldnt be happier!

BillyVW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty damn good deal too: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=11&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=AVH%203300BT&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1539&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=100&_udhi=

I may have to look into this one! Thanks Billy! Love the Sig!!
They come down in price since i bought mine a month of 2 ago, i think i paid $300 or $330 shipped.
It has some quirks in the OS where I feel like they dropped the ball, but it really pics up the slack in the iPod department since that integration is really good. The Bluetooth is excellent, as good as the factory bluetooth in my moms 08 Lex GS. the mic is good too, ive got it mounted on the top of my a-pillar. The 4v preamp and video playing are great.
My only dislikes are with using a USB drive to play music/videos. I have about 6gb of music on a flash drive that i keep in it all the time, and it takes about 2 minutes to fully scan the drive each time i start the car before music will play off of it. Kind of annoying.
I do enjoy it though, it also has a video input that you can hook a reverse camera up to which is pretty nifty, and in the future, you can add nav to it as well since it has the pioneer nav add-in port.
Ive always used pioneer for my car headunits and ive never been disappointed. I had an 8 year old single din before this that i brought over from my GTI and it was great. Excellent sound quality and build.

also, I come from the VW world (go figure) and I'm REALLY picky about wheels. i finally gave up trying to find wheels for the 'kon and just gonna keep the stockers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joesart977

Joesart977

Reaction score
I see your point. I know that car audio is a sickness for many, me included, and we often get buyers remorse by settling for less than we truly wanted. I'd definitely advise that before your buy a head unit, you find a local place and mess with them. You may find that the Sony has a terrible user interface, while a competitively priced Kenwood suits you much better.

You might as well buy what you want the first time, because settling for less will cost more in the end. IMO.

Couldn't agree more

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

I choose to think about it this way: Would I like to have a 2013 Porche Cayenne Twin Turbo? Sure I would, but I'd rather spend half of that money on a Yukon, which can do everything the Cayenne can do, just as well.......Then, if the "Giddy Up" needs tending to, I've still got $40K to play with. The same thing goes for HU's as well. Figure out what SPECS you need, then get the cheapest HU that posesses the specs you desire.

Does that make any sense?

Honestly I would LOVE to have that 2013 Cayenne haha but i see your point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz