Loss of power was actually an anti-lock brake issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post this just in case it would help someone else out. I see others have had similar issues with a variety of causes.

Several months ago, I pulled away from a stop sign and my truck just took a nosedive like I had lost all power. I could feather the throttle and eventually get up to speed like nothing happened. It was an intermittent problem and there weren't any error codes. I think I may have seen a "Traction Active" warning for a split second not sure since I was not looking at the display.

Somewhere along the line I read about how the Denali AWD was controlled through braking, so I paid more attention and realized I was not losing power, my brakes were coming on. I then eventually tried turning off the traction control and all was well. I intended to look more into it "when I had more time". Months later, as winter was approaching, just after replacing pads and rotors, I noticed my anti-lock brakes coming on as I came to a stop at slow speeds. Turning the traction control had no effect. Just what I needed with snow on the way. Snow and freezing weather are a great motivator. I was trying to figure out if I had screwed something up doing the brakes, so I did some research and found others with the slow speed anti-lock brake issue. It had been the result of rust build up under the wheel speed sensor.

So, since the truck had a very light pull to the right when this happened, I pulled the left sensor, knocked the rust flakes off of the hub, carefully filed the area on the hub, de-rusted it, painted it, and reassembled it. The sensor was a little distorted from the rust pushing up and did not sit perfectly flush. But it was late, I was cold, nobody had the correct new sensor in stock, and I left it that way. I figured it wouldn't be worse.

Went for a test drive expecting the issue to, at best, only be a little better. Instead, everything works great now and is back to normal. I don't have to shut off the traction control and the anti-lock brakes work fine now. Basically, it cost me only the time it took. Funny how getting it just back to normal feels so satisfying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan