What do I need to thread a hole in metal so I can put a screw in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Probably yet another dumb question, but I am trying to finish a fog light retro and I have these holes through the projector I'm using. I need to run a screw into the holes to mount it, but right now they aren't threaded and I'm destroying screws trying to get them in. What/how do I make it so it's threaded correctly so the screws will seat properly?

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
determine the ID (internal diameter) of the hole and the OD (outer diameter) of the bolt you intend to use.. go to ACE or a big box hardware store and get a tap that is for the size of bolt you are going to use.. this is a tool that is made of heat treated (hardened steel) that cuts the treads into the metal for you for a bolt to thread in..

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Awesome. I can do that. Thanks!

I figured it was something easy, but I didn't know what it was called. I hate going to the hardware store and having to describe what I'm trying to find....

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
determine the ID (internal diameter) of the hole and the OD (outer diameter) of the bolt you intend to use.. go to ACE or a big box hardware store and get a tap that is for the size of bolt you are going to use.. this is a tool that is made of heat treated (hardened steel) that cuts the treads into the metal for you for a bolt to thread in..

Or, ............ if the metal is not all that thick, use a self tapping screw. Pre-drill with a considerably smaller diameter then the screw and the self tapping screw will work its way into/through the metal.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, ............ if the metal is not all that thick, use a self tapping screw. Pre-drill with a considerably smaller diameter then the screw and the self tapping screw will work its way into/through the metal.

+2 on this advise, both are good but since you are talking about a fog light bracket instead of threading through the frame or something, a self tapping screw should be all you need. They do make different strengths/quality screws so be sure to ask the ACE people and they should point you into the right direction for what you need!! Also, try to get some with a hex head instead of a phillips or something of that nature, they would be easier to use!!

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep.. they have some self tappers you dont even need to drill a hole.. Put a little Umph behind the drill as you screw it in!

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get dewalt drill and tap kits at home depot for like $7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts