What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a vid of the new starter sound. I'm convinced it's spinning the engine faster. It starts a little quicker. Supposedly, it's only a 1kw motor:

Thought it was in my head…. And it probably is but the reman I got from RA when mine went in the beginning of summer, I swear, I noticed it spins/starts faster and has a slightly diff tone….then again, it was 10 yrs old and subjected to salty goodness of the NE roads for said 10 yrs….

Reaction score
I left the screw out completely, the 3rd time I took it out...beat that
I thought about doing that also, but thought it might cause a rattle or something.

I do know that my 1/4" drive Craftsman ratchet along with a 1/4" deep well socket fits perfectly/is correct length to go up in the hole and between the trans hump to get to that screw. I usually don't have a problem getting to the screw with a tool, but I have a problem getting the screw lined up with the hole up in the recess to be able to screw it back in

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing that also, but thought it might cause a rattle or something.

I do know that my 1/4" drive Craftsman ratchet along with a 1/4" deep well socket fits perfectly/is correct length to go up in the hole and between the trans hump to get to that screw. I usually don't have a problem getting to the screw with a tool, but I have a problem getting the screw lined up with the hole up in the recess to be able to screw it back in
No rattles here

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys were talking starter motors and I googled and did indeed see that the 5.3s use a 1.4 Kw starter and the 6.2s use a 1.7 Kw starter. Learn something new everyday with these things. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I saw y'all posting about it.
Yeah, I noticed that on RockAuto when somebody mentioned the 1.7 starters, I've decided to check the 6.2's and sure enough, there it was.
That's what I picked up actually.

Got a few parts needing install.

I tell you what, accidentally bought some rotella t6 15w40 instead of 5w40... My goodness is the oil pressure reading much happier numbers. Idling at 25, and driving normally immediately shoots up to 35, and then 45. Maxing at 53 and actually dropping down to 51 at 6,000.
Is it necessary for anything? Absolutely not, do those numbers make my brain happier, yes, I might just run 15w40 for the rest of this engine's life.

She might be a little lifted on mud terrains, but still handles quite well when you lean on her. Hardly had to touch the brakes, never crossed painted lines, never squealed the tires (aside from the chirp going into second gear).
And that was just a comfortable pace. If I really wanted to ring her out on the streets and get hard into the brakes before the corners, I could have knocked much more time off of that trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_180829039.jpg
    IMG_20231022_180829039.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 4

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell you what, accidentally bought some rotella t6 15w40 instead of 5w40... My goodness is the oil pressure reading much happier numbers. Idling at 25, and driving normally immediately shoots up to 35, and then 45. Maxing at 53 and actually dropping down to 51 at 6,000.
Is it necessary for anything? Absolutely not, do those numbers make my brain happier, yes, I might just run 15w40 for the rest of this engine's life.

I mix three quarts each of 5W-40 and 15W-40. In my mind, 5W is too light and 15W is too heavy so 10W-40 just makes me feel good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork