What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we ALL know what that entails to fix on one of these. In my opinion, headlight bulb access on the GMT 900's is the most bone-headed design I've ever seen. I hope somewhere there is an engineer cleaning bathrooms at a 7-Eleven as penance for their contributions to the collective misery of the world.
Nah, the guy who designed the lamps and grill for the 1992-1996 F-150 gets the award, unless they are same fellow!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy peasy bulb replacement. My Yukon only has one bulb per side, so that probably helped.

Driver's side only required removing the 2nd battery mounting bracket, and washer reservoir screw. Pushed it all to the side, and pulled back on the flexible plastic curtain. I stood facing forward, and could slide my right hand into the void, and unscrew the bad bulb.

From there I slowly pulled the bulb and harness out into the open and unclipped it. Installed the new bulb reverse order.

DExOHBe.jpg

Passenger side was even easier.

I just pulled out my cone filter, and used a plastic (Christmas tree) clip remover to pop out the three clips holding the flexible plastic curtain, and it was a straight shot to the bulb.

AnobH5T.jpg

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy peasy bulb replacement. My Yukon only has one bulb per side, so that probably helped.

Driver's side only required removing the 2nd battery mounting bracket, and washer reservoir screw. Pushed it all to the side, and pulled back on the flexible plastic curtain. I stood facing forward, and could slide my right hand into the void, and unscrew the bad bulb.

From there I slowly pulled the bulb and harness out into the open and unclipped it. Installed the new bulb reverse order.

View attachment 389803

Passenger side was even easier.

I just pulled out my cone filter, and used a plastic (Christmas tree) clip remover to pop out the three clips holding the flexible plastic curtain, and it was a straight shot to the bulb.

View attachment 389804
It's really a shame that GM didnt keep the setup used on NBS trucks. I can only assume this was to drive owners to the dealer for something as simple as bulb replacements. Maybe I am cynical but seems things that should be simple are being made extraordinarily difficult, by design. Engineers are there to create a solution to a problem that doesnt exist! :banghead:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really a shame that GM didnt keep the setup used on NBS trucks. I can only assume this was to drive owners to the dealer for something as simple as bulb replacements. Maybe I am cynical but seems things that should be simple are being made extraordinarily difficult, by design. Engineers are there to create a solution to a problem that doesnt exist! :banghead:

Exactly.

You shouldn't need to watch 20 YouTube videos to formulate a plan to change lightbulbs.

I did it on company time, so at least I got paid to fix my truck. (shhh don't tell).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an ingenious design, and there’s a few more on that platform. Try pulling off a door panel on a NBS, then on a NNBS. A world of difference. It’s like the OG engineers all retired and the new guys took over.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an ingenious design, and there’s a few more on that platform. Try pulling off a door panel on a NBS, then on a NNBS. A world of difference. It’s like the OG engineers all retired and the new guys took over.
Door panels were cake - If memory serves, 1 bolt and a few snap in connections. I hope the guy doing Ford lights mentioned earlier and the guy that did the NNBS are getting pineapples inserted (see Little Nicky movie) in hell!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Door panels were cake - If memory serves, 1 bolt and a few snap in connections. I hope the guy doing Ford lights mentioned earlier and the guy that did the NNBS are getting pineapples inserted (see Little Nicky movie) in hell!
Two screws, the only thing that unclips is the light switch assembly. The panel hangs on j hooks without clips. Just lift up.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new transmission is in. The mechanic confirmed the old one was cooked. I had him change all the diff and transfer case fluids while he had it, and flush the cooling system since it got a new radiator.

Now he tells me I have to take it to the local GM dealer to re-flash the ECM so it'll recognize the new TCM. He says it drives fine, but is throwing a bunch of codes because it thinks it doesn't have a transmission.

This will erase my BB tune. And I'll have to pay a local shop to re-disable AFM (I refuse to deal with BB since they reneged on their lifetime tunes promise). This assumes, of course, that the dealer doesn't do something stupid like refuse to touch it because it's tuned. I'll try playing dumb and say I bought it like that. But the way my luck has been going lately, I won't be surprised if I get caught in no-man's land with the transmission shop and the dealer blaming each other for a bricked ECU, or worse. Wish me luck, lol.

Reaction score
My new transmission is in. The mechanic confirmed the old one was cooked. I had him change all the diff and transfer case fluids while he had it, and flush the cooling system since it got a new radiator.

Now he tells me I have to take it to the local GM dealer to re-flash the ECM so it'll recognize the new TCM. He says it drives fine, but is throwing a bunch of codes because it thinks it doesn't have a transmission.

This will erase my BB tune. And I'll have to pay a local shop to re-disable AFM (I refuse to deal with BB since they reneged on their lifetime tunes promise). This assumes, of course, that the dealer doesn't do something stupid like refuse to touch it because it's tuned. I'll try playing dumb and say I bought it like that. But the way my luck has been going lately, I won't be surprised if I get caught in no-man's land with the transmission shop and the dealer blaming each other for a bricked ECU, or worse. Wish me luck, lol.
Would the new TCM be able to be programmed to the vehicle somehow with a Tech2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy