What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paid $950 to have some rust bubbles repaired in the same spot that small rust bubbles were repaired a year ago. This time you could see the pinch-welds we starting to rust, so they had to remove a section of metal, and replace/paint/etc...

I don't mind paying for the work in order to keep the rust/rot from propegating down the road (the way my sweet Armada eventually came to rest. engine/tranny still run great).

The kicker was that the driver's headlight bulb was dead when I picked the car up at night (last night).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kicker was that the driver's headlight bulb was dead when I picked the car up at night (last night).
And we ALL know what that entails to fix on one of these. In my opinion, headlight bulb access on the GMT 900's is the most bone-headed design I've ever seen. I hope somewhere there is an engineer cleaning bathrooms at a 7-Eleven as penance for their contributions to the collective misery of the world.

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we ALL know what that entails to fix on one of these. In my opinion, headlight bulb access on the GMT 900's is the most bone-headed design I've ever seen. I hope somewhere there is an engineer cleaning bathrooms at a 7-Eleven as penance for their contributions to the collective misery of the world.

I just watched a couple videos where they went in behind the housing. Gotta see if I can squeeze my arm in there... might need to pull out my air filter heat shield.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched a couple videos where they went in behind the housing. Gotta see if I can squeeze my arm in there... might need to pull out my air filter heat shield.
The quickest way I've found is to:

1/ Turn the front wheels away from the side you're replacing
2/ Remove the fasteners for the front half of the fender liner on that side.
3/ Loosen the lower mounting screw (10 mm) for the headlamp assembly
4/ Remove the top mounting screw (10 mm) for the headlamp assembly
5/ Wiggle the headlamp assembly up and forward to remove it from its bay
6/ Remove and replace the bulbs (all of them, including the side marker and turn signal bulbs so you won't have to do this again anytime soon).
7/ Toast to your success with a glass of whisky.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

The quickest way I've found is to:

1/ Turn the front wheels away from the side you're replacing
2/ Remove the fasteners for the front half of the fender liner on that side.
3/ Loosen the lower mounting screw (10 mm) for the headlamp assembly
4/ Remove the top mounting screw (10 mm) for the headlamp assembly
5/ Wiggle the headlamp assembly up and forward to remove it from its bay
6/ Remove and replace the bulbs (all of them, including the side marker and turn signal bulbs so you won't have to do this again anytime soon).
7/ Toast to your success with a glass of whisky.
I just take the damn bumper facia off.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big are ya'll hands? I have been able to loosen the 2 bolts holding the assembly to the core support, sort of dislodge from the mounting points, which then give me enough room to get my hand behind the assembly. Some of you must have big ol' bear mits for hands....

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big are ya'll hands? I have been able to loosen the 2 bolts holding the assembly to the core support, sort of dislodge from the mounting points, which then give me enough room to get my hand behind the assembly. Some of you must have big ol' bear mits for hands....
3B46033300000578-4022208-image-m-22_1481473180325.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have bear mit's and I can do it. Just did it 2 weeks ago. Low beams aren't too bad but the high beams are worse. I remove the air filter box, driver's side battery tray and washer reservoir bolts. Top bolts from the housings. IMO the worst part besides skinning up your hands is you can't see to well when clocking the tabs on the new bulbs in.

If you have to remove the housings it's not a big deal to do it the way @Geotrash stated. I use a 1/4" drive palm ratchet for the lower housing bolts in the fender.