What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got around to tearing the motor down. Let's just say things do not look good. Both valve covers are coated in milkshake (Coolant mixed in oil) and noted that the #2 Cylinder has coolant on top intake valve. Unsure at this point if it is just a blown head gasket or if I cracked a head/block somehow. Truck never overheated, just started to run rough and blow white smoke on the way home from work. Luckily only drove it about a 1/4 of a mile to get home and shut it down in my driveway, hasn't been fired up since.

The valley also had coolant pooled towards the rear of the block and on top of the passenger cylinder (pooled on top of the head bolts).

Now the frustration begins in looking for the cause and determining if I have to replace the whole damn engine at only 114K miles

View attachment 239426 View attachment 239427 View attachment 239428
Sucks

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would he know if it’s a cracked block? Replace the heads with new gaskets and roll the dice? Since he’s torn down, is there any way to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would he know if it’s a cracked block? Replace the heads with new gaskets and roll the dice? Since he’s torn down, is there any way to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not something to "roll the dice" on! I doubt it's a cracked block being where he's finding coolant. But it's not impossible if it's cracked badly enough that the head gasket leaks coolant everywhere. That would easily be visible once the heads are off. He's right on the verge of finding out. Just gotta zip out them 15 or 30 bolts. I'm leaning more towards a blown head gasket. I'd still have the heads checked and maybe have a cleaning pass done on the surface to ensure flatness. It'd be ideal to at least check the decks for flatness as well.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My battery is starting to take a shit, it's only 2 years old. :(

And when I was under there checking things out I saw this too. o_O:confused::(:(

IMG_1550.JPG

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an expensive little bastard aint it?!!o_Oo_O:confused:

Pep Boys $135(On sale at 25% off normally $174.99)
Autozone $217.99 HOLY FAK
have you checked Rock Auto?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia