What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do ya’ll do for oil changes? I’m planning on using Penzoil Platinum 10w-30 and a PF63 filter. I think I’m going to change it at 30% oil life on the cluster given that its starting to get dark. I’ve only added about 1.7 quarts this oil change.

Why the thicker oil?

I go by mileage even thought the DIC calculates by RPMs and for the newer trucks, time.

Truck went 3,353 miles in 97 hours for first oil change.

Truck went 6,923 miles in 214 hours for the next one.

Then she went 5,051 miles in 185 hours and OLM said 33%.

The following went 5,185 miles in 193 hours and OLM said 44%.

Next one went 4,140 miles in 137 hours.

Last one went 6,216 miles in 217 hours and OLM still said 37%.

As mentioned previously, I was getting concerned that Mobil 1 was now a little too thin for my truck and switched to ACDelco's new oil for aluminum block motors. It is very similar numbers wise to the new Rotella Gas Truck by Shell. The motor uses no oil.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do ya’ll do for oil changes? I’m planning on using Penzoil Platinum 10w-30 and a PF63 filter. I think I’m going to change it at 30% oil life on the cluster given that its starting to get dark. I’ve only added about 1.7 quarts this oil change.

I use 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum every 5K. The slightly thicker oil just gives me peace of mind since mine has 197K miles on it (supposedly- motor could've been replaced), it's hot pretty much all year here and I "have fun" when I drive. I don't nor will I ever follow the OLM. IIRC, it's usually around 30-50% when I change it. I suggest you pay attention to the mileage so you'd know how many miles pass before you have to add X amount of oil. You may have some oil consumption problems that could be easily improved. By GM's standards, that 1.7 quarts between OCIs is within acceptable tolerances, but we all know they're crazy on that one.

Reaction score
I change mine at 5k. It makes it easy to remember. I'm currently at 4600 since last oil change and DIC OLM is showing 30%.

I've emptied my catch can twice, only because it's new to me and I wasn't sure how much would be in it. Both times there wasn't that much, only about a shot glass worth, and half of that was water condensate.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Why the thicker oil?

I go by mileage even thought the DIC calculates by RPMs and for the newer trucks, time.

Truck went 3,353 miles in 97 hours for first oil change.

Truck went 6,923 miles in 214 hours for the next one.

Then she went 5,051 miles in 185 hours and OLM said 33%.

The following went 5,185 miles in 193 hours and OLM said 44%.

Next one went 4,140 miles in 137 hours.

Last one went 6,216 miles in 217 hours and OLM still said 37%.

As mentioned previously, I was getting concerned that Mobil 1 was now a little too thin for my truck and switched to ACDelco's new oil for aluminum block motors. It is very similar numbers wise to the new Rotella Gas Truck by Shell. The motor uses no oil.

I use 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum every 5K. The slightly thicker oil just gives me peace of mind since mine has 197K miles on it (supposedly- motor could've been replaced), it's hot pretty much all year here and I "have fun" when I drive. I don't nor will I ever follow the OLM. IIRC, it's usually around 30-50% when I change it. I suggest you pay attention to the mileage so you'd know how many miles pass before you have to add X amount of oil. You may have some oil consumption problems that could be easily improved. By GM's standards, that 1.7 quarts between OCIs is within acceptable tolerances, but we all know they're crazy on that one.

I just bought the truck last month. Its got 219k on it right now. One of the lifters makes a clicking sound at idle sometimes and I’ve got Rotella T6 in it right now. It seems to make more noise in the morning than after a long drive. I like the 40 weight on the warm end because sometimes I’ll just hop in and go on a 12 hour drive down to Cali. In my S10 i could do it and only spend about 45 min stopped for food/bathroom/fuel the entire time. But I’m gonna see if a 10w-30 makes the engine less noisey than a 5w-40

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I will add- as far as oil consumption, being an 07 it had none of the updated AFM stuff and burned a quart every 1k. Slapped the new valve cover on it and I’ve added 1.7 quarts in about 4600 miles. Its right in the middle of the dipstick hash marks right now

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the truck last month. Its got 219k on it right now. One of the lifters makes a clicking sound at idle sometimes and I’ve got Rotella T6 in it right now. It seems to make more noise in the morning than after a long drive. I like the 40 weight on the warm end because sometimes I’ll just hop in and go on a 12 hour drive down to Cali. In my S10 i could do it and only spend about 45 min stopped for food/bathroom/fuel the entire time. But I’m gonna see if a 10w-30 makes the engine less noisey than a 5w-40

Ok, got it. What's the Viscosity Index of the oil you are using? Do you have the ASTM D445 and D4683/D4741 specs?

What were you using previously (if you know) when the lifter was making more noise?