What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So before I do my 2500hd grill conversion I am looking at this chrome plastic and thinking I should take the time to paint it black first.
Any tips on how to de-chrome the plastic? I see some say use a bleach/water soaking mixture, or use oven cleaner, or just etching primer.
Anyone have really good long lasting results with a simple method?
Like @Rocket Man I tried several different methods (including plasti dip) and nothing held up. Four years ago, I had a body shop I use on a regular basis treat and paint both front and back to eliminate the chrome. Still holding up and looks great today. Sometimes it is worth to have someone else do the work.My Beast (2).jpg

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to help my neighbor with programming some new fobs on his NBS Hummer. He programmed some new ones while the Hummer was right next to his sons NBS Silverado and they ended up programmed to the same code, so the fobs lock/ unlock both vehicles at the same time. So I mentioned he needs to program them while the trucks are a ways apart so he drove the Hummer down the street. Still does it. He also has a Compustar alarm on the Hummer ( on it when he bought it) and has also had battery draining issues. He said he wants to get rid of the alarm so he found a module under his dash and he decided to unplug it. Not sure which module it was but now the Hummer won’t start. Not sure if it’s in fail safe mode or whatever, thinking someone was trying to steal the vehicle. Wondering if anybody has any experience with either issue, maybe Wes @Doubeleive ?
I know I'm late to the party, but it occurred to me this morning what would be really funny is programming an autostart and starting more than one vehicle at the same time... :oops:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So before I do my 2500hd grill conversion I am looking at this chrome plastic and thinking I should take the time to paint it black first.
Any tips on how to de-chrome the plastic? I see some say use a bleach/water soaking mixture, or use oven cleaner, or just etching primer.
Anyone have really good long lasting results with a simple method?
There's an international member of our forums who has done this. You might want to search because he did some other neat stuff too.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son used matte (or semi-gloss) black Plasti-Dip on his Tacoma.
It was chrome on plastic.
Wiped down with WD-40 to get bugs and tar off.
Washed with Dawn dish soap to get the WD-40 off and degrease.
Air-dried in the sun.
Applied 3 or 4 LIGHT coats until he had full coverage.

That was last year sometime.
He was really happy with it.

Still looks great! I agree.

I was toying with the idea of doing my chrome grille on my 04 Tahoe. It is a Z71 and supposed to have monochrome color matching the Arctic White body.
I swapped free for the grille and black might look good.
I might at least do the bow-tie and leave the chrome. That might look good too.

I'll wait for warm weather before I touch anything anyway... Just thoughts right now. Thoughts that could change at any moment...
Are you going to paint the raidator support that is seen through the grille?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed my no crank issue, found a spot on the wiring harness under the hood that’s been rubbing on a coil. It just happened to wear through both the ground and crank voltage wires for the starter relay. It wasn’t even really noticeable, I just saw the harness laying on the coil so I lifted it up and used a mirror to look under there. Starts right up now.
And after I wrapped that up nice and tidy, I realized that starter relay ground wire is the perfect way to add anti-thievery to my truck. Cut that wire, run both ends up to a hidden momentary switch in the cab that is easily reachable. And then I’d hold down on the switch while turning the key to the start position. I think I might do that.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to paint the raidator support that is seen through the grille?
OP had an aftermarket grille and headlight set on there, which I wasn't really keen on in my own taste.

Picture below shows what was there when I got it (after I Plasti-Dipped it black).
I sanded and painted the supports black before putting that grille in.

20220506_141142.jpg

It wasn't the grille so much, but I didn't care for the LED "dots" in the headlights. The little LEDs were not connected, but the line of dots kind of annoyed me. Looked like a spaceship.

So did a free swap of that setup for the stock setup, then added new TYC stock headlights and turn signal assemblies.
The stock grille was not perfect, but from 10 feet looks pretty good to me.

Now that I look again, I may keep it with the black and chrome, just as it is now...
20221010_151443 (1).jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the QA1 panhard bar from @Thrust on. As usual, hour job took three. Pro-tip - start with the passenger side as you can use leverage to work the end in. Then rubber mallet on the driver side. I couldn’t figure out how to get the PS bolt hole aligned when I started with DS. Oof.

Just need to add some grease and give it a go. Except it is raining. And I just washed it a few days ago.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And after I wrapped that up nice and tidy, I realized that starter relay ground wire is the perfect way to add anti-thievery to my truck. Cut that wire, run both ends up to a hidden momentary switch in the cab that is easily reachable. And then I’d hold down on the switch while turning the key to the start position. I think I might do that.

I did something similar in my brother's car in high school. I used a switch from a higher-optioned model to replace a blank so it appeared factory-original and was hidden in plain sight. The switch was originally a push on/push off style. I took it apart to remove the latching part to make it momentary.

The car was a '93 Sundance, so this wasn't for anti-theft. The ignition switch was jacked up so this was my free/Saturday afternoon solution. Turn the key to "on" and press the secret switch.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP had an aftermarket grille and headlight set on there, which I wasn't really keen on in my own taste.

Picture below shows what was there when I got it (after I Plasti-Dipped it black).
I sanded and painted the supports black before putting that grille in.

View attachment 394042

It wasn't the grille so much, but I didn't care for the LED "dots" in the headlights. The little LEDs were not connected, but the line of dots kind of annoyed me. Looked like a spaceship.

So did a free swap of that setup for the stock setup, then added new TYC stock headlights and turn signal assemblies.
The stock grille was not perfect, but from 10 feet looks pretty good to me.

Now that I look again, I may keep it with the black and chrome, just as it is now...
View attachment 394043
Yeah agree, I’m not a fan of those aftermarket headlights/ grill combo.