What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I had to bang the new lower shaft on because it wouldn't go on, so I used the old upper shaft to bang the new into place. I inserted it correctly, but I hit it too hard. It pushed the new lower into place, but the old shaft went in too far, thereby stretching the new inlet a bit. I don't see a way to close it up some. If I took it apart I'd be facing the same issue that caused the problem in the 2st place.
I tried posting vids but it won't let me.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Excuse the ignorance but what led you to completing this repair?? I have seen several discussions on upper and intermediate shafts in the recent months. My rig showing upwards up 245k miles and if I should replace before major failure I'm all for it. I don't like letting things completely fail before fixing them. I'm currently waiting on my front brakes to at least squeak or crap out before the 4 pistons calipers get bolted on.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I had to bang the new lower shaft on because it wouldn't go on, so I used the old upper shaft to bang the new into place. I inserted it correctly, but I hit it too hard. It pushed the new lower into place, but the old shaft went in too far, thereby stretching the new inlet a bit. I don't see a way to close it up some. If I took it apart I'd be facing the same issue that caused the problem in the 2st place.
I tried posting vids but it won't let me.
Not sure what you’re thinking to close up. I wouldn’t take it apart, just loosen the bolt at that connection slightly, try to align the 2 shafts, and retighten

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Excuse the ignorance but what led you to completing this repair?? I have seen several discussions on upper and intermediate shafts in the recent months. My rig showing upwards up 245k miles and if I should replace before major failure I'm all for it. I don't like letting things completely fail before fixing them. I'm currently waiting on my front brakes to at least squeak or crap out before the 4 pistons calipers get bolted on.
The new parts weren't really expensive, so I just decided to get them. I do have a little steering wheel play, so I was hoping by doing this I'd reduce the play a little. I also might adjust the steering box, but I'm a little hesitant to do that. Too tight and you could destroy the gears inside.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re thinking to close up. I wouldn’t take it apart, just loosen the bolt at that connection slightly, try to align the 2 shafts, and retighten
I did try to do that--same thing, no change. I think the wobble came from using the old shaft to bang the new lower onto the steering box shaft.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not for the best, but I’d probably loosen the bolt a bit, rotate it where the high point / largest part of the run out was facing straight up, and gently beat it into submission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It’s probably not for the best, but I’d probably loosen the bolt a bit, rotate it where the high point / largest part of the run out was facing straight up, and gently beat it into submission.
Won't work in my situation. I just put everything together and said fu*& it!

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
The new parts weren't really expensive, so I just decided to get them. I do have a little steering wheel play, so I was hoping by doing this I'd reduce the play a little. I also might adjust the steering box, but I'm a little hesitant to do that. Too tight and you could destroy the gears inside.
If you think your steering box is loose, what’s the downside? Worst thing would be having to replace it vs. living with it loose and slowly getting even worse. I haven’t adjusted many, but when I’ve adjusted them by hand to have a minimal amount of slop I can feel at the gear, when test driven they feel weird and I end up loosening them up a surprising amount to have the best feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019